Break-In Oil

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
lavron
Site Admin

Break-In Oil

Post by lavron »

Looking at my cam card they are calling for break-in oil for the first 1,000 miles or so (I think)

I have never used break-in oil but want to do everything right this go around as much as I can, looking for suggestions on oil brands etc.

Recommendations on cam break-in is 2500RPM or higher for 10 minutes, cool down and repeat for another 10 minutes, hopefully, this will be good for my rings and bearings at the same time to get proper break-in.

Also any preferences for oil filters, I have a couple of Fram PH8A I inherited (which one is on the motor right now) Seems some don't like those but hopefully they will be good for break-in.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Re: Break-In Oil

Post by popscomet »

USE IT USE IT USE IT !!!! few yrs ago I built the 390 in my 66 f100,,,,,,I had the addivative sitting on the shelf,,,I ws so over whelmed with how good it sounded and ran ,I plum forgot to add it,,,drove maybe 8 to 10 mikes,,,it started missing and popping back thru the carb,,,,made it back to shop,,,knew right off the bat what I had forgot.....cam lobes, lifters were flat..had to flush with diesel and let drip dry with plug out of pan for a day or so,,,,replaced cam and lifters ,,used break in oil and is great today....runs perfect !!! a sweet running 390....spend the money and get good break in oil,right off the bat...been there and done that.....PS you have no idea how that bothered me to flat a-- goof up !!! but I did goof up and I have never got over it.....I knew better,,,,sham on POP !!! but today I have a sweet running 390......I even went so far as to leave the break in oil in it just a tad longer then they said....
pop/glenda

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

I agree with Pop, good idea to use running in oil, the oils are so good now that without using running in oil without all the additives the rings wont bed in, i have had that trouble before & had to pull the engine apart again & rehone it, also dont have the engine sitting idling too much without taking for a drive to load it up. I use Penrite oil but that is an Australian oil, no help to you there & I use K&N oil filters on mine John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Brad Penn,or Joe Gibbs Driven break in oil,no extra additives.A little costly but well worth it. The key here is to get your timing set right and the carb full of fuel so the motor starts instantly.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

vicegrip wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:21 am
The key here is to get your timing set right and the carb full of fuel so the motor starts instantly.
We will see what I can do :P Never had this engine running so all reconditioned, you guys may find out if I am any kind of mechanic :roll: Fire it off on the first try, I can do it! :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

When starting a new engine or one that has been in storage for a long period of time I always pre lube. Small block Ford: I have an old distributor shaft, (or you could use a distributor without the cam gear) place it in the hole and connect an electric drill that runs counter clockwise. You will feel when the pump starts pushing oil, run it until you have good oil pressure (mechanical gauge) reinstall the distributor, set the timing and fire it. The pre lube will make sure all needed surfaces have enough oil for the initial start up.
Break in oil is the correct choice for a fresh engine.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A/FX wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:50 am
I have an old distributor shaft, (or you could use a distributor without the cam gear) place it in the hole and connect an electric drill that runs counter clockwise.
I have an old distributor and an extra pump rod, Inline 6 runs clockwise BTW.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Break in lube is a must. Even after priming the motor, I pour breakin lube or oil with zinc additive on the valve train.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Just on a follow up on this I ended up getting Lucas Oil break-in oil, Lucas is semi-local, Lucas Speedway is not too far from here (but I have never been) he also has cattle, so I guess I was trying to help the local guy :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread