drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Judd;you need to find out why all the valves hit,either you don't have enough piston to valve clearance,or you floated the valves.Pro-comp does not have a good reputation,loose valve seats,cheap two piece valves,cheap valve springs,etc.,could be it floated the valves enough that they smacked the pistons.Just about any aftermarket head should fit your intake and exhaust except the ones that moved the spark plugs and are not the race versions with huge ports. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
Yes they are cheap! I have replaced everything but the valves already with ARP and Competition cams parts. The rockers are Procomp rollers and they are going now also.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
I guess the stock Ford cam pin won't work with the Cloyes gear drive it worked out enough that the gear lossened and turned bending all the valves. Thank God it didn't slip the other way or the cam, lifters and maybe the whole motor would have been taken out when the rods hit the cam lobes. :cry: I found a good machinest in Mobile so all wasn't lost! :D The heads will have proper springs for my solid roller cam new one piece stainless valves 7/16 ARP studs and CompCam Pro Magnum roller rockers and a full check out when they are done. I hope to have them back in time to make the Southern Gasser Racers at Mobile Dragway 5/1/11.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;you can get longer pins,sometimes you need them to fit up in the cam,gear and fuel pump eccentric or hardened washer.I'm still chasing parts for my new 418W. Plus the rearend went out in the F350,never ends!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
The machinist gave me a longer pin and the Comet is back together I just need to put the mufflers on so I can drive it around enough to warm it up and do final adjusting. It's raining for the first time this month so it may not happen today. I have the Southern Gasser Racers charity meet to do Sunday in Mobile so I have to be ready to whup on my buddies and their Chevies. F350 rear end sound like big bucks repair! I'm trying to decide if I really want to spend $350 for stereo on my old raggady 92 Dodge Cummins (cassetes are getting hard to find!LOL) .

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;YES,it was expensive!!! Good luck at the races,you are over-due for some GOOD luck!!!! I dropped my block and parts off yesterday for the machine work and balancing,hope to have it all back in about two weeks. KICK SOME GM ASS at your Gasser meet!!!!!! ROY.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;how did the Gasser race go? I hope you brought the Comet home in one piece!!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
I had a loose battery cable that ran the battery down and we had to push start it on the last two rounds but I was wuppin ass and takin names in a sea of 55 chevies, big blocks small blocks it didn't matter. The Hilborn injected alterered wheel base chopped top 55,all out big block 49 race car and the blown 52 chevie where the only thing I didn't out run. :mrgreen: I still have the ignition problem when it gets hot (200 deg after I sat in the stage lane at idle on third pass). The chevy red lighted so I still won sputtering half the track! LOL. The heat had all of us running slower times though.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;TOO COOL!!!! The ignition miss could have been the low battery,I forgot to hook up my alternator once,found it too late,went four rounds,had to be push started,Comet ran like crap! ROY.