drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
b.guggenmos

Re: drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Post by b.guggenmos »

Hey Roy. That is at Mission BC. I love that Lenco. Maybe that is what Jim G. needs to solve his transmission issues. 2 failures in about a dozen passes. He and GForce are not doing real well. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

b.guggenmos wrote:Hey Roy. That is at Mission BC. I love that Lenco. Maybe that is what Jim G. needs to solve his transmission issues. 2 failures in about a dozen passes. He and GForce are not doing real well. Brian
The guys I know have not had good luck with Gforce either. I used an AstroPerformance trans and it is great.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Grant took the lenco out not sure what he is using now but it can hit the 8's. He also has a old comp elim probe that runs low 7's to high 6's.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

Is the Probe blue also? I saw a really fast Probe at Mega Ford last year. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Well ran at Gulfport tonight 3500 launch 5500 shifts into 5th gear and cruised to the traps 11.97, then 4000 launch 6000 shifts to the end in 4th 11.47 the MSD box acted up and it was missing on the next run 11.85. The first run of eliminations with new MSD box I was way ahead so I used 5th and stayed just ahead ran 12.05 the other guy must have been off his dial in? then ran 4000 launch 6000 shifts was ahead and used 5th gear (to late) but broke out 11.52. was a good night.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Judd;NICE !!! Now I see why the need for a roll bar!!!Make sure you have a good CLEAN ground for your MSD,I see more guys have issues that turn out to be a poor ground!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
Yes on the ground, I just talked to MSD tech and he said ground it back to the battery with 10 gauge wire and he also gave me a part number for a electronic filter to use on the hot wire as all my electric comes off one big terminal on the firewall. I think the 4.30 gear will cut a couple more tenth's off my time also. I'm bad now! my 425 is only a second slower than your 358. LOL :mrgreen:
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Judd;NICE !!! Now I see why the need for a roll bar!!!Make sure you have a good CLEAN ground for your MSD,I see more guys have issues that turn out to be a poor ground!! ROY.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;it is only money!!!! Lots of compression,lots of cylinder head,lots of cam,lots of carb,lots of tire,lots of rear gear,and a LOT of RPM!!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Well I think the coil is bad ( is an MSD Blaster supposed to rattle when you shake it :oops: ). I just put the S&W rollbar in it fits nice but a swing out side bar may be in this old farts future.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;I don't think any coil is supposed to rattle!!! I had swing out side bars done when I had the cage built,found out it is easier to slide my old butt over the bars than try and get over the seat sides!!!Put a new coil in that beast and drive it like you stole it!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Weeellllll. I went to the hot rod days today( no times just run for the fun) and had miss problem still. On about the third run it died on the slow down end of the track, restarted and ran about 100 yards then popped and died. The started seemed to have no resistance to turning but the ballancer and distributor are turning, I'll need to check for spark in the next couple of days as I am sceduled to run at the first test meet of our gasser group in Meridian, MS next Saturday. My friend broke an axle on his 64 Falcon the first run then it came loose on the trailer and bent the front bumper on the front of the trailer. Bad luck day all around! :cry:

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;how did the timing set look when you got that engine?It sounds like the cam timing has slipped or the distributor gear has stripped or sheared the pin holding the gear.I would do a mechanical timing check[is #1 at TDC and distributor pointed at #1 wire],if that checks OK,then check electrical. ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
It's a new Cloyes gear drive. We looked at it today everything is turning correctly dist. etc. no compression, 40lb oil presure on the starter, all the rockers are working, distributor is turning, front two pistons are running up and down. We noticed all the rockers have about .065 gap instead of the .016 they started with and I think I floated and bent the valves? I'll remove the heads in the next couple of days to check further. I had plenty of valve clearance and the springs etc. were set for more cam and more RPM than the 6,800 chip I had in the 6AL if the machinest sold me what I asked for in Comp Cams valve train.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;sorry I didn't notice your response!! I still think your cam timing has slipped,especially now that you mention bent valve train!! I would still check valve timing mechanically,is #1 at TDC with the valves closed?A racing buddy had the drive pin that holds the cam gear in alignment snap allowing the cam to move.What a pain,you were getting that old war horse to run pretty good!!Keep us informed on what you find. ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

All 16 valves are bent! Ithink every thing is ok with the cam timming, it looksright as near as I can see and if it was two deg. off the rod bolts would have taken the intake lobes off the cam.

I just missed a deal on a set of Victor JR heads reworked for solid roller at.700 lift for $800 d*&%m.

What heads will work in place of these 60cc chamber procomps I have with my current intake and headers? My pistons have dual relief and can run twisted wedge heads if the ports line up and plugs clear headers.