Rear suspension

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
Jimbo

Rear suspension

Post by Jimbo »

In the interest of hooking up a decent amount of power and having a livable ride on the street, along with minimal modifications, are cal tracs the way to go with the rear suspension on these comets? I am not against a four link setup, but I am thinking decent leaf springs and some sort of panhard would be a nice little setup. Ideas?

alans 64

Re: Rear suspension

Post by alans 64 »

there are numerous types/style of rear end configurations you can buy/fabricate for these cars. if you prefer to buy then you have to look for them in the falcon websites and catalogs. some are simple and some are complex with 3 link, 4 link, back halved, etc..
on my project I elected to go with a 9" out of a 57-59 full size ford. the narrowest 9" ford made. a bolt in to the comet. only 1/4" wider than the stock 8". I have one in my 55 w/ old style traction bars. on the street you have suspension bind with that set up, i.e., as you hit a bump the leaf springs get longer and with solid traction bars, the rear end can't move front or backwards so it puts it in a bind and for a very rough ride.

so on the comet project I elected to us a competition engineering floating rear housing. the rear floats in a housing that allows the springs to slide in a bump but using ladder bars keeps the rear end from moving forward or backwards. you install a piece of bar stock on the top of the housing in the floater to keep the rear from any sideways movement. pretty simple setup and works. I made my ladder bars from scratch and if you are going to have any serious horsepower then it's highly recommended to add a set of frame connectors.

as I mentioned in one of your previous posts I lots of pictures in my album linked below but here are a couple of the rear end.
as you get deeper into your project, as some have mentioned parts, especially body parts are few and far between. that being the case I have had to fabricate most everything in my project, with the exception of the engine mount kit, headers and frame connectors whch are available from crites. unless you can come up with a good parts car then ebay and craigs list are going to used a lot. lots of members here are ready and willing to give you help and insite to you build. quite a few have parts that they are willing to sell, with the exception of one who just happens to have a set of nos qtrs hanging in his shop.

stuffing a fe in one is a project but can be rewarding when finished. I tried to keep mine somewhat period corred for an a/fx car but added a couple of later safety items,such as front discs.
also you might do a search on the site and there are quite a few topics that might answer some of your questions.

alan

on this shot you can see the frame connectors, which at the back are the attachemet points for the ladder bars

64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Great information. Thank you very much. I am a big fan of your suspension setup, mostly factory with the necessary parts added, very nice.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

So, I am thinking relocate locate the leafs and go with a maverick 8" at first. Maybe caltracs will work with the crites relocate kit later?

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

TCI has a four link setup already put together for falcons, i wonder if there are any major differences?
http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/ford_f ... nt_end.cfm

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Jimbo;64-65 Falcons are basically the same car as our Comets,just shorter wheelbase on the cars,wagons are the same.The Cal-traks are fairly stiff unless you set them loose,they are really made for drag racing,many of my racing friends run Calvert's complete rear setup.I run coil overs with ladder bars,it is OK but does not get much street use.The thing with ladder bars is they do not let the rear end twist on uneven surfaces,but my Comet is mainly a drag car.That 4-link looks good,probably not cheap,a four link will let the rear end articulate on uneven roads. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals