carnage & mayhem in Gulfport

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
juddp39532

carnage & mayhem in Gulfport

Post by juddp39532 »

Well I went to test the new carb last night at Gulfport and it bogged at the 3800 I normally launch at (11.92 1/4mile 1.76 6o') so I tried 4,000 rpm an the next run. The Comet jumped out then pop and it ran to the right. I just dissassembled it and one Moser axle is twisted while the other snapped and destroyed the bearring adjustment ring on the center section. #$%&^!!!!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: carnage & mayhem in Gulfport

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Sorry to hear of your problems Judd, I know how it sucks to break at the track. At least you didn't put it into the wall. Got any pics of the twisted up axleshaft?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I DO NOT like Moser axles!!!! I broke one that destroyed the right quarter and the trunk aluminum pieces.I run Big bearing 35 spline Mark Williams axles,actually the whole rear end is MW!! It sounds like you are making good power though!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I DO NOT like Moser axles!!!! I broke one that destroyed the right quarter and the trunk aluminum pieces.I run Big bearing 35 spline Mark Williams axles,actually the whole rear end is MW!! It sounds like you are making good power though!! ROY.
I have the 45 degree 35 spline Mark Williams axles in mine. Probably overkill for a 11 second car but I hope to test their strength next season.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Larry;at least when you hammer it you don't have to worry about axles!!I pull my axles at least once a season to check for twist,so far so good!!!ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Well I took the scrap iron to my rear end man and he thinks he can have it back together for the race next week end. I was still running the 28 spline the guy I bought it from had it it but it will be 31 spline spool now ( biggest I can go with small bearing housing). I hope it holds up as I don't want to change the housing!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Larry;at least when you hammer it you don't have to worry about axles!!I pull my axles at least once a season to check for twist,so far so good!!!ROY.
That was my thought, spend some extra now, pays off later.
Larry

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

Mark Williams 35 spline for me also. I broke 28 and 31 spline stuff way to many times. I bought my MW axles in the mid 1980's and they are absolutely perfect still. Same spool also. A couple ring and pinions and I still use a Ford N case. Some day I will upgrade to a Mark Williams housing and carrier but I am pretty good now. Roy's problem with the Moser was bad. It could have totaled the car. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I sold my factory 1969 dated N case a couple years ago for a enough money to get 2 modern big bearing N cases. :o The money some will spend on even small details to make their cars factory correct is unreal.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;with yours and my luck lately we must have really ticked off the Mercury Comet Gods!!!!! I'm begining to think my Comet does not want to run quicker than before!!!! I hope you can get back up and running quickly!!! ROY.

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

This is down the hardcore scale a little,but I'm thinking of cut to fit 28 spline axles from Speedway for my 351w Falcon. My initial setup was a 59 Galaxy rear in which I used 4.57 gears and a mini spool with the stock 59 axles. I was running 13.10s20s to just shake the car down at 5600 or so rpm. All seemed well so I left harder and shifted at 6200 and ran 12.9s. This engine builds power to 7000 so up I went to 6300 and at my 1-2 shift the pass side 59 axle broke under the cap. The mini spool and stock pin were all that survived. I put them into a stock 57 Edsel case with stock 3.56 gears and another set of stock Edsel axles. The car still runs 13s and I dare not exceed 5600 rpm. This has made me a better bracket racer actually but is getting kind of lame. I have a good case and a new set of 4.11s. I think mini spools are tough enough for me and are cheap. 28 or 31 spline. What kind of axles should I get that will fit my 59 Galaxy rear? Small bearing? Big? Is there an offset difference? I'd like to go racing again in April without worry about my axles in the mid 12s. I'm kinda cheap too.