Lincoln MKVIII rear disc brake conversion????

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
2x4son66202

Lincoln MKVIII rear disc brake conversion????

Post by 2x4son66202 »

Has anybody done this, or do they know if the rear disc brakes off a Lincoln MarkVIII will work on my 66 Comet. I have seen a setup on a 88 Lincoln Mark VIII with a 8.8 rearend in a local pull your parts salvage yard. I can get this whole setup for under a $100 and don't really know if it will fit the 8 inch rearend on my 66 Comet. Any info will be appreciated.
I cannot seem to find my pipe stretcher and sky hook, did I put it behind my bucket of arc sparks??????

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I know there are some how-tos out on the web for this but I haven't done it myself, I have collected most of the stuff for the Caddilac conversion and kinda wish I would have done the Lincoln because of the park brake issues with the Cad conversion.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

69comet514

Post by 69comet514 »

were changing my 9 in rear end over to a disc brake set up out of a 95 lincoln town carwith an 8.8. we had to modify the back plate just a little. ( we had to grind off one rib and get it machined so the axle plate would set in it right but everything else bolts right up.) and I think the set up will work on an 8 in as well i think the bolt patterns are the same. i bought the whole rear end out of a junkyard for like 50 bucks. stole the parts we wanted got ride of the rest. also think the rear end is the same for all full framed cars those years. (town car, grand marquis, and crown victoria)

2x4son66202

Post by 2x4son66202 »

I was just at the junkyard yesterday that has the rearend I was wondering about. I was getting a window for my Chrysler and seen that nobody has yet snagged that 8.8 Lincoln Mark VIII disc brake rearend. If it is still there in January when I have some cash I think I will pull it. When I get some time I will see if I can convert my 66 Comets rear drums over to disc brakes, but I probably should do my front drums first.
I cannot seem to find my pipe stretcher and sky hook, did I put it behind my bucket of arc sparks??????