Another rear end question

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
cparker136

Another rear end question

Post by cparker136 »

Hey guys - I see that there was a rear end question not too long ago but I don't really want to hijack that thread so I thought I would start a new one.

I am going to look at an 8.8 rear end after work from a 1991 Ford Ranger. In looking at the specs, it should be 56.5" wide. My 1963 Comet has some dinky rear end in it that should be 56" wide. I am in the process of dismantling my car and was thinking about doing a mini-tub so I can run a wider rear wheel. My thought is to do the one side 8.8 narrow job on this Ranger rear end which should make it 53-5/8" wide.

Anyways, my question is, since the 8.8 rear end has an offset pinion, is the above plan even possible? Does the pinion have to be in line with the transmission output shaft or is it ok to run it at an angle? I'm not really sure what that angle would be yet or if the pumpkin would even fit under the car. Any experiences or knowledge you have to share would be much appreciated! Thanks.

power band

Re: Another rear end question

Post by power band »

The Ranger 8.8 swap has been done and will be good for your project posts' to see it done. BUT, hope you also are considering a Ford 8" rear. Compatible Ford 9" rear is rare and /or expensive but an 8" will take care of most performance needs out to @ 400 HP. The advantage is there are still quite a few around that can Bolt-into Mustangs/Comets/Falcons that can be sourced from 60's V8 Mustangs, and 70's Maverick/Comets.

The Maverick 5 lug rear is @ 1/2" wider on each side but with some minor mods can fit fenders easily.

'61 with 'Maverick 8" 3.80 Posi, homemade Carltrac traction devices.

Image . Image

cparker136

Post by cparker136 »

Hey thanks for the reply. I passed on the ranger rear since it was both open and had a 3.08 gear set. I don’t have a problem with the 8” but they are more difficult to find around here. Plus I figured it would be easier to narrow the 8.8 since I could use a an OE axle shaft. Either way, I’m still on the lookout but I appreciate knowing that it will be useable if I run into either of them.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I do an 8.8 aat home anrrow job in my build thread. if you have 2 thumbs and are fairly handy it is not too tough, I built a coiple of jigs to help keep it in alignment, not completely necessary but I felt better about it. doing the single side narrowing it recenters the pumpkin the reason you might need that is with it offset ( while it wont hurt anythig you might have the driveshft rub on the driveline tunnel. I agree the 8" swap from a Maverick is an easier swap and bolts right in. I wanted the 3.73 gear ratio and traclock, plus rear discs and 5 bolt wheels so it made the most sense economically to do the 8.8 narrow for me, I had an 8" for a 6cyl in there (4 bolt wheels) and it was direct bolt in for that tiny 7.25? rear
SeeYa,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, My first car, I have owned it since 1979!
Performance rebuild on a BUDGET - Installed; 250-6, T-5, 8.8 LSD, MII, Air Ride - Boxes are too restrictive I would much rather think outside of them :wink: