C-6 install

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
saSSoman8810

C-6 install

Post by saSSoman8810 »

Before I break out the plasma cutter and start hacking out my freshly installed floor pans . How much cutting is involved in putting a C-6 in a 65 Comet behind a small block Ford. Before you start telling me how much easier it would be to put a C-4 in or install an AOD. I have a freshly built manual valve body C6 that I bought with a converter for a song.
In the future it is going to get an FE so a C6 will stay in the car. I don't care about comfortable low rpm drives on the interstate . I drove a Big Block Camaro from Colorado Springs to Detroit with 4.88 gears. Hell, it came from the factory with 4.10 gears and I drove it everyday.
I know I will have to remove the tunnel brace. I already compensated for that with another crossmember and rocker panel braces off the subframe connectors. I will be cutting and smoothing the firewall . The shock towers have been removed and a straight axle is installed. It's just metal, cut it out and weld in a new firewall if needed.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: C-6 install

Post by A/FX »

Small block and big block C6 bell housings are different sizes, ( larger than a C4) installing a small block C6 will need the lower part of the firewall changed along with the tunnel. If you are using a factory heater defuser it won’t fit after the change.
Good luck
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

also could be some exhaust minor interference to tweak. aint but one way to find out for sure about any of it .
Johno

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

I am going to mock it up this weekend and we will see. The factory heater is already history. might put some sort of hot rod heater in the car mostly
for the defroster.

loman

Post by loman »

Years ago, my dad had a cleveland with a c6 in his. He used the persuasion hammer and sledgomatic to make it fit. To get to the top two bell housing bolts he drilled 2 holes through the firewall and stuck a extension on a ratchet to install and remove them. Then put a grommet in the hole to seal back up. I have that same car now and i have a 390 with c6. I cut and welded new metal into my tunnel and it is still a tight fit. There might be some pics on my thread in the 64-65 comet section.

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

Thanks , I have a good idea what needs to happen after having a Lakewood scatter shield in my last Comet. The C-6 is just wider all the way back.
I took some measurements yesterday. I will probably just get some sheet metal and roll a new tunnel .
A friend gave me a Cheetah shifter yesterday . So that saved me a bunch of money. I just hope that my Dougs big tube headers will clear the trans .

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Don't over think this. It doesn't take that much fabrication. We stuck a 460-C6 in a 65 with really just a small amount of work where the firewall bends back to the tunnel. Original type carpet fit,and room for a mechanical radiator fan. Headers will probably be an issue but if you can get a couple tubes to fit on each side, you should be able to make up some slip fit tubes for the other two.

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

Thanks. That's good to know. I want smooth the firewall to get rid of the heater motor and hose holes ,Plus this car had dealer installed a/c and they drilled 2 more hose holes right beside where the gas pedal comes through. Since I am going to a hanging gas pedal with a toe operated return I am filling that hole also.
I am making a template and cutting out enough metal to smooth it out and putting in the factory looking bead rolls for strength. Then I can tie in the tunnel. It's just metal . Cut it up, weld it up . grind it smooth and paint it.