Rack and pinion "upgrade" . . . . . ?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
SASSY

Re: Rack and pinion "upgrade" . . . . . ?

Post by SASSY »

Ya tell me about prices!! I'm in Canada too where are you?
Adding 37-8 percent to everything on top of duty and taxes!
Anyway, I have the same outter tierods as you. I'm surprised you can't get them local but maybe no cheaper as they are limited in application therefore volume. I would look into those bushings Dan mentioned too!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

sandman

Post by sandman »

Hi Fred,
I'm about 8 hrs drive North of Toronto...and I mean north. I found that if you are dealing with young lads at the typical parts store and they can't find it on there computer, they give up on trying to find a source.(if it's not there, it doesn't exist). Anyway Fred, thanks for the link for the proper tie rod ends and thanks for verifying the outer tie rod end stud size. As you mentioned, I went with Dan's suggestion with Mustang Steve. Very helpful and great to deal with. Our conversation was primarily through email. I gave him the information on my existing tie rod ends and the measurements of the tie rod ends that Chassisworks sent me and he gave me the correct bushings for my application. Even gave me a follow-up phone call. They were sent U.S. Postal and were here in just shy of a week. I thought that was pretty good considering they are out of Texas. Time to get this installation going, summers coming...I think, lol!
If you are reading this Dan...thanks for the link.

sandman

Post by sandman »

I was dealing with a fellow named Mike Morrow, here's the link he sent me!
https://www.mustangsteve.com/product/bu ... -spindles/

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So I've been back and forth with the tech guys about this manual rack. Factory steering is ok, but WOT passing 75 I want a little more solid feel . . . :mrgreen: So I may pull the trigger on the manual rack as a winter project. From what I've learned there'll be a little fabrication involved but shouldn't be too much. I'll keep everyone informed . .

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Dan, yes please post any changes. I really like racks as well but anything I do will be low buck. Although happy with my present setup things can always be better.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about