Clutch adjuster sleeve just started popping out.

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
pugs65

Clutch adjuster sleeve just started popping out.

Post by pugs65 »

Since Tuesday I have had my clutch adjuster fall out 4 times. Anybody have a clue as to what might be causing this?
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

poboyjo65

Re: Clutch adjuster sleeve just started popping out.

Post by poboyjo65 »

Make sure the fork is on the fulcrum right. might try adjusting it tighter so it engages a tad further off the floor. the z bar pivot bushings could be worn out & have more slack &/or z bar tube could be wallered out . sounds like some slack somewhere.
Johno

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Job no I just know it is starting to suck. I even thought about changing to an automatic. I just can't bring myself to do it.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

comethead

Post by comethead »

Check your motor mounts too. If that thing is rockin and rollin it could move the zbar around too much.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

pugs65 wrote:I even thought about changing to an automatic.
Don't go insane Pugs :P

Like John said start going through everything. when you say clutch adjuster what exactly is that? Or should I say where is that?

I know on my '64 the clutch os adjusted right in front of the firewall, the rod coming from the clutch pedal into the z-bar, if I remember correctly it had a nut on each side of the swivel tab on the z-bar that you adjusted up and down to get the tension/adjustment. after the z-bar the push rod to the clutch arm was pinned on the z-bar and a spring kept pressure on the push rod to keep it from coming out of the clutch release arm. I am probably not calling those all the correct terminology :roll: The last thing I can think of is your z-bar bushings are worn out or your motor is flexing over like a bad motor mount allowing stuff to come loose.

I really don't know but I sure would check all that. I know I am not much help :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Check the tabs on the Z bar to make sure the welds are still good and not cracked. The welds have a tendency to crack over time and the tabs will bend and eventually break off. Check both the tab for the rod going to pedal and the tab for the rod going to fork.
I would do this first, if you adjust up the rod so it stays and one of the tabs is going bad the extra pressure could finish breaking the tab off.

Lou