What is the better suspension system?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
62Cometman

What is the better suspension system?

Post by 62Cometman »

So i am curious and especially from those of your who have made the switch. Would a modified originaly mustang based system 65 specifically be better than a Mustang II or would the Mustang II be superior. I know in the long run the Mustang II will likely be cheaper but for me it would be more difficult to install and more modification involved on my end vs installing coilovers, custom adjustable UCA and LCA new solid adjustable strut rods, with the better steering geometery from 65 and a upgraded brake kit or even a rack and pinion swap. I really just want the better handling system. I know a few serious track designed mustangs that still have a loosely based mustang suspension, which makes me think they are better than a Mustang II for handling? What are yalls thoughts?
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

lavron
Site Admin

Re: What is the better suspension system?

Post by lavron »

62Cometman wrote:What are yalls thoughts?
Probably modifying the current system would be the easiest, not sure on a '62 but I know doing the conversion on a '64 to '65 steering is pretty straight forward.

While I installed a MII in my '64 I don't think it is for everyone, especially doing it piecemeal like I did, I did save a few dollars doing it that way but not much (I used all new parts) the reason I did it was because I wanted to do air bags and the fact that there are a ton of aftermarket parts for the MII it was just a bonus that I could remove the shock towers because with my six I really didn't need the extra width (extra height would have been nice) and I just wanted to do the MII.

The biggest minus on the MII is all the other stuff you have to deal with (oil pan swap or modification, steering column mod or replacement, etc) Don't misunderstand I like the MII setup, I hope mine performs better than what I had before.

In my build thread way back there is a few pages dedicated to upgrading with stock parts, a lot of good information there and sources. The only thing I don't know about on a '62 is what drag link and steering box you would need because I think the frame rails are closer together on '60-'63 Comets.

IMO it is wash on price with probably the MII maybe a little cheaper if you are willing to do all the modifications yourself, you have to be ready to do a lot of hacking and and welding on your car and it could never go back to original without major work.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

I would check out opentracker racing and get the oem upgraded parts .

1964hipo

Post by 1964hipo »

What do you plan on doing with the car?? The original suspensions were pretty good, so just rebuilding with a nee steering box, and high end shocks and stabilizer bars will be a great driving and hndeling car. I used to open track alot and youd be suprised what some of the stock suspensions can do if you rebuild them and put the right tires under there
Mike