Bolt on exhaust for a 64?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Ewookie

Bolt on exhaust for a 64?

Post by Ewookie »

Hi all. I’m new here and a newb to car repair. I recently bought a friends 1964 Comet 404 with a 289 and 4 bbl carb. I have a number of projects that I need to start undertaking and one happens to be the exhaust. I have spent way to much time looking for a bolt on duel exhaust for the car and for the life of me can’t find one. I was hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction. Should I look at falcon kits, or mustang? Or should I just pay to have it professionally done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

SASSY

Re: Bolt on exhaust for a 64?

Post by SASSY »

If you don't have a blue flame wrench in the garage you might well consider having it done.
I have a strong DISLIKE!!!! for exhaust at the best of times and have the blue flame wrench!
If your wondering if this is a job you want to tackle, 1) jack the car up high enough that you can crawl around under it
and 2) take off the toughest manifold nut/ bolt under there.
Good luck,,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Ewookie

Post by Ewookie »

Thanks Sassy.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! I don't think you're going to have any luck finding a "bolt-on" dual exhaust kit for your Comet. Especially if you're planning to keep the stock headers. There's not enough demand for our cars for anyone to invest in the inventory. I think your best bet is going to be to take it to a muffler shop, unless you're handy with a welder and want to buy the bends and straights and fab your own.

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

take it to a muffler shop,,all will be new with hangers,around here they weld all joints,no clamps,,sit in the AC waiting room for an hour or so,,pay up and take it home...down the road if you get a rattle take it back ,beats wallering around on the ground most if not all day...jmo...good luck....POP
pop/glenda

Ewookie

Post by Ewookie »

Looks like the jury is out. To the muffler shop I go. Thank you all for the warm welcome and hospitality!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Let us know how it turns out. Good luck! :D

Jim

SLCK64

Post by SLCK64 »

Merlins Muffler and Brake welded up a true dual system system for me for like $250. Wasnt equal length because they "copied" the stock routing from driver side to passenger side with the one pipe and ran it along with the other pipe for a bit until after the trans.

Groover

Post by Groover »

These guys might do it and ship it to fit.

https://www.waldronexhaust.com/

I do see that the website says 8 weeks lag.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

modelafish

Post by modelafish »

I just looked at the Waldron site and all I see is a single exhaust system for a 64. No duals until 66 or newer.