Trans cooler

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
mercuryman

Trans cooler

Post by mercuryman »

Hey, what kind of transmission coolers are you guys using? I’m not a fan of those kind that mount on the radiator fins with a zip tie.

popscomet

Re: Trans cooler

Post by popscomet »

mercuryman wrote:Hey, what kind of transmission coolers are you guys using? I’m not a fan of those kind that mount on the radiator fins with a zip tie.
why not ?? they work !!…..I have seen a cooler on the frame inches from the tranny with real short lines and owner claims no problem...this was on a ford pwrd street rod......
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Pop is correct, they work well. Hayden is what I've used for decades.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

used to be a guy that raced a dodge truck in the mudd drags,,back in the 80's when we raced mudd drags,,,do anyone recall those tiny finned coolers mounted at the power steering pumps on big fords yrs ago?...this guy had one of those small coolers mounted on his roll bar where it always in the wind,,,this was his only cooler for his transmission,,,I asked him often about it,,he claims he never had a problem with tranny heat,,,
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Pop, that reminds me of my demo derby days. After burning up a tranny I moved the lines into the back seat area. I took 5/16 soft copper and made a coil, then plumbed it into a 5 gallon bucket that I'd fill with ice. I never lost another tranny.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Pop, that reminds me of my demo derby days. After burning up a tranny I moved the lines into the back seat area. I took 5/16 soft copper and made a coil, then plumbed it into a 5 gallon bucket that I'd fill with ice. I never lost another tranny.
we did the same with fuel lines...they stopped us from running a cool can at the dirt track,,,,,TECH man thought that gave us an unfair advantage,,,I told him ..CRAP fire anyone can make one,,but he said no one else had one so we couldn't,,,I think cause we were wearing their butts out winning,,,and we were always passing inspection,,tech man was fishing for a reason to D-Q us...
pop/glenda

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

B&M Super Cooler mounted on outside of core support has worked well for me. All braided lines and AN fittings from trans to cooler made a nice and neat installation. Andy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I used a condenser from a water cooler out of a locomotive mounted in frt of rad ,on my 55 crown vic when I installed a 57 t-bird engine and tranny....worked like a clock......
pop/glenda