63 comet V8 swap rear end suggestions

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
MartyEngineBuilder

63 comet V8 swap rear end suggestions

Post by MartyEngineBuilder »

Have a 63 comet hard top that is getting a 302, what is or are suggestions for the rear end swap to handle the 302 for street use/ weekend cruiser? Or could you upgrade the 7.25 to take the 302?
- LittleRocketComet

SASSY

Re: 63 comet V8 swap rear end suggestions

Post by SASSY »

I think most people would say an 8inch is plenty but an 8.8 is probably a lot easier to come by.
I've never done it but I understand the 8.8 is easy to narrow by using 2 short stock axles.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

MartyEngineBuilder

Do you know of any vehicle that have the 8 in?, I have been told the best was from a Maverick and a 8.8 out of a 92 and older rangers was a close match but would need some kind of work done. Mavericks and older rangers are hard to come by in my area. Just trying to get a good idea if what to look for.
- LittleRocketComet

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

MartyEngineBuilder wrote:Do you know of any vehicle that have the 8 in?
The Maverick 8" is the narrowest one available, so in a 63 it is a good thing. I did the 8.8 swap in my car out of a '98 Mercury Mountaineer (Explorer) I did the narrowing myself, the hardest part is welding, if you can do that or have someone who can it is an easy task. The Explorer rear is nice you get rear disc brakes and track-lock but the gearing may be a bit low for you depending on what transmission you go with. I took a Maverick 8" out of my car I put in there over 30 years ago (it is a 4 bolt 6 cylinder rear of course)

I do show how I narrowed my 8.8 in my build thread, it is not the only way but it is how I did it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

cparker136

Post by cparker136 »

I also have a 63 though mines not a hard top. I have been researching this as well. The problem is that the round bodies have a very narrow rear end at 56”. The 63-1/2 comet/falcon had the 289 option so there were some 8” rear ends made that are a perfect fit. My understanding is that the Maverick rear ends were 1/2” wider but will fit. The 4.0 liter 1990-1992 rangers are 8.8s and are 56-1/2” wide. I think the spring perches need to be relocated and maybe the pinion is not centered. They aren’t centered on the mustang 8.8s for sure. There is really not a lot else that will fit without cutting it down. Some are cutting the mustang or explorer rear ends by cutting one side and using two short axles. This supposedly also puts the the pinion closer to the middle and is 56-1/2" long. I watched a YouTube video a while back on it and it didn’t look too hard. I’m hoping to run into a ranger rear end. I think the 4x4s have steeper gears and some are posi. Good luck, if you find 2, let me know :D

here is a list of rear end widths for reference: http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html

here is a lot of info about the ranger rear ends: https://www.therangerstation.com/stock- ... ear-axles/

MartyEngineBuilder

Thanks everyone for the info, ill keep everyone posted once i get one, i have a lead on a 92 ranger lying in a yard for parts, and i'll keep ya'll posted when going though the install process.
- LittleRocketComet

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I also had a Maverick 8" before I swapped for an Explorer 8.8. Its a pretty easy and economical upgrade that comes with a lot of good features. Disc brakes, 31 spline axles, traction-lok, 3.73 or 4.10 gears (which work well with an overdrive trans). It does require a fair bit of work however. Need to narrow the long side, relocate spring perches, and fabricate a parking brake assembly. Google search and you'll be able to find lots of info on it.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Also keep in mind places like Speedway sell housings in all sorts of different lengths. They're not free, but they make them as short as 54". Currie sells a 56" (face to face) housing with axles also.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!