Front suspension interchange.

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
SASSY

Front suspension interchange.

Post by SASSY »

This is from a post over on Tffn done by a guy that has been in the wheel alignment trade since '71 so should know. Thought it was good info to have here.
Fred
" I did some research several years ago when I was contemplating the change to five-lug Wheels, on my '65 Falcon Sedan. I discovered within the Ford Master Parts Catalog that the geometry remained the same for V8 Falcon, Fairlane and Mustang Spindles, from 1965 through the 1969 model year, along with their Mercury counterparts.

'65 through '69 Spindles (C9OZ-3105-C & C9OZ-3106-C) are used for Drum Brakes for all those years, as well as the Kelsey-Hayes four-piston Disc Brake Assemblies used in 1965-67.

'68 and '69 Spindles (C8OZ-3105-A & C8OZ-3106-A) have the same steering geometry as the above part numbers, but are not compatible with Drum Brake installation. They are designed specifically for the single-piston Disc Brake setup, that Ford began using at that time.

Upper Control Arms are interchangeable for '65/'66 Falcon and Mustang, but beginning in 1967 the distance between their mounting Studs became greater (for Falcons, Fairlanes and Mustangs), so they won't align with the holes in the Spring Towers of the earlier models.
Rick"
Last edited by SASSY on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Front suspension intetchange.

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Over the Summer I helped my Dad cut out the shock towers out of his 65 Cyclone. Replaced them with 69 Mustang shock towers, 69 Mustang upper and lower control arms, steering column and steering box. 66 Mustang draglink and tie rod ends. Now it looks stock to most people, but a big block bolts right in.
Attachments
dadsshocktowers.jpg
dadsshocktowers.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Nice modification. It sure makes more room for the big block. I read an article a while ago about an install similar to yours but in a early mustang, but I believe the owner kept the small block.
I did something a little different, I kept the factory shock towers but sectioned them a few inches. This gave me quite a bit more room for the Boss engine. I see you changed the steering box also, mine now has a ‘68 Cougar box.
Great work on your Dad’s Comet.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A local guy did the same as you in a 64 but he didn't do it as cleanly as yours looks. My 65 I just cut the shock towers and welded in flat metal. I did not buy a kit, just made everything. Made working on my Boss 351 much easier than when the shock towers where in there. My Dad wanted a more stock look.

Here is the engine bay of my 65
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A/FX wrote:Nice modification. It sure makes more room for the big block. I read an article a while ago about an install similar to yours but in a early mustang, but I believe the owner kept the small block.
I did something a little different, I kept the factory shock towers but sectioned them a few inches. This gave me quite a bit more room for the Boss engine. I see you changed the steering box also, mine now has a ‘68 Cougar box.
Jim

My Dad is putting a Boss 302 in his. I'll get a picture next weekend. He just wanted the space and possibility of a fe some day.
Larry

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
A/FX wrote:Nice modification. It sure makes more room for the big block. I read an article a while ago about an install similar to yours but in a early mustang, but I believe the owner kept the small block.
Jim

My Dad is putting a Boss 302 in his. I'll get a picture next weekend. He just wanted the space and possibility of a fe some day.
The Boss 302 does fit without the modifications but it is a real tight fit. I installed the Boss in my Cyclone back in 1972.
What headers is your dad planning to use? I bought a pair of JR headers back in ‘72, I just had them jet coated, they are going back into service this time around.
The stud girdle valve covers on your 351 are unique, I just sold a NOS pair of Of them not too long ago.
Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Re: Front suspension interchange.

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

He has headers we bought from Vermeesh at total performance back in the early 90's. My brother had the boss 302 in a 65 Falcon sedan back then. The stud girdle valve covers I bought them new back in the 80's. Surprisingly felpro still makes the special valve cover gaskets for them.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

picture of my Dad's boss 302, should be back in his 65 Cyclone next week
Attachments
boss302 - Edited.jpg
boss302 - Edited.jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Larry

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:picture of my Dad's boss 302, should be back in his 65 Cyclone next week
That Boss engine looks great! I will bet it will sound even better. What valve covers will it have? I have Crane roller rockers in mine and had to use spacer plates to raise the stock aluminum covers in order to clear the rockers. (The drip rails interfered)
Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Boss/Cyclone wrote:picture of my Dad's boss 302, should be back in his 65 Cyclone next week
That Boss engine looks great! I will bet it will sound even better. What valve covers will it have? I have Crane roller rockers in mine and had to use spacer plates to raise the stock aluminum covers in order to clear the rockers. (The drip rails interfered)
Jim
He has some aftermarket tall finned aluminium valve covers
https://www.atracingworld.com/Ford-302- ... all-w-Hole
Larry