C4 trans leaking

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
jtgb428

C4 trans leaking

Post by jtgb428 »

I posted recently about a few issues with my 65 comet and thank you for your responses..I'm finally starting to realize that letting your car sit for long periods of time is going to haunt you..I got my 65 Caliente out of storage after sitting for roughly 10 years, kids in college, getting married, etc..got the 289 running great, bolted up to the 289 is a new tci c4 street fighter transmission..the trans was installed just before I put it in storage 10 years ago and as I stated it was new when installed and was in perfect working order..last week I take the car around the block for a test drive, runs, drives and shifts good so I park it in the garage and notice a puddle of trans fluid under the car..I'm hoping it mite be the pan gasket but I'm not banking on it...has anyone experienced the same thing after letting there car sit and what was the problem you encountered and what did it take to fix it..can these repairs be made on a lift or does the trans have to come out...thanks, Jim..

vicegrip

Re: C4 trans leaking

Post by vicegrip »

Where's it leaking,front,middle,back?

jtgb428

Post by jtgb428 »

I will let you know shortly..if the trans has to come out and brought to a shop to have new seals put back in by the time I pay that bill I could buy a new performance tranny and this really bugs me..a new c4 from Hughes or tci go for about 1200 bucks..I will check out the leaks and get back with you and thank for responding...Jim...

jtgb428

Post by jtgb428 »

I might be very lucky..took car out this afternoon and let it idyll for 15 minutes, no leaking trans fluid..shut car off no leaking fluid...took car out for very short spin, parked car no fluid..car sat for close to 10 years and was curious if there is some kind of overflow tube or something of that nature on the c4 where the fluid might of ran out because it sat in one place for so many years and when I started the car after sitting for so long it exited out of a vent tube or overflow tube of some kind..could this be possible?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Many years ago,,my 64 comet started leaking fluid badly...……...come to find out the vent was stopped up...built up pressure and was coming from everywhere....I fixed it,,,,,then I got smarter...I went to a 4spd.....POP
pop/glenda

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Could have been coming out of this vent.

Warm up car, drive, check level of fluid in park. Do not overservice.

Good luck !

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Converter seals like to leak if the car has sat for a long time but many of them heal themselves after they're back on the road.I will routinely replace the seal on a rebuilt trans as a precaution if it has sat on the shelf for a number of years.

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

vicegrip wrote:Converter seals like to leak if the car has sat for a long time but many of them heal themselves after they're back on the road.I will routinely replace the seal on a rebuilt trans as a precaution if it has sat on the shelf for a number of years.
I believe you mean the front pump seal. There are no "converter seals"...

jtgb428

Post by jtgb428 »

I priced out a T5 conversion kit, 3k for the works and that's not to bad..it's something to think about and thank you very much for your input guys..Jim Jtgb428...

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

bmmaurer wrote:
vicegrip wrote:Converter seals like to leak if the car has sat for a long time but many of them heal themselves after they're back on the road.I will routinely replace the seal on a rebuilt trans as a precaution if it has sat on the shelf for a number of years.
I believe you mean the front pump seal. There are no "converter seals"...
Sorry! I knew what I meant. At least there were no misspelled words...