New Clutch Chatter

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
62Cometman

New Clutch Chatter

Post by 62Cometman »

I finally figured out the high idle on my comet, and got to test drive it and its got a clutch chatter on take off, I cant notice it once moving but it makes we worry that theres something wrong with the clutch, but it dawned on me that the rear in this car is very high geared 2.73 in fact. Im wondering if the rear gear being so high Is lugging the engine really back and making the clutch chatter during take off? I plan on replacing the third member with a 3.40 or 3.55 soonish so Ill find out then but wanted all of your opinions.
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

vicegrip

Re: New Clutch Chatter

Post by vicegrip »

the rear end ratio would be a problem. What rpm is your idle? Too high with that ratio can cause problems. Did you have the flywheel resurfaced?

cbcafe

Post by cbcafe »

Are your motor mounts ok?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP has driven his comet on 2 power tours,,I run a 3,50 posi,,but one time I put a 2,79 gear in for 1 power tour,2nd power tour I installed a 3.00...there's not enough difference between those 2 to say grace over,,,,,,to me (jmo),,,both times my clutch acted up as in a chatter or would get hot in bumper to bumper traffic..like trying to enter a fairground,,1st time the clutch got so hot it stopped releaseing,,I had to turn key off and start it in gear,,,,left it parked at the show for 2days and cool off on it's on,,,3rd day adjusted it and drove home from BOWLING GREEN,KENTUCKY,,,,2ND pwr tour,,it just chattered some...soon as I got home I reinstalled the 3.50 all was ok,,,hope you find out your problem soon,,thanks pop
pop/glenda

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

Its a brand new clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel, new motor mounts, the idle was a little high at first but I got it fixed and its about 900 RPM or so, im pretty sure its rear end ratio cause the clutch doesn't slip or chatter once its moving, I might have to accelerate the time frame for when I replace the third member
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.