Export bar install question

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
DesertRat

Export bar install question

Post by DesertRat »

I am putting an export bar in my 65 Cyclone. Question, is the car sitting on the wheels to do this or is it jacked up supported from the subframes?
I think done wrong could cause bad things to happen.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

comethead

Re: Export bar install question

Post by comethead »

I installed mine with the weight on the wheels. You might have to jack one side to tweak the front end so it fits.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks for the answer, I will put the car on the wheels for this.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

DesertRat wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:04 pm
I am putting an export bar in my 65 Cyclone. Question, is the car sitting on the wheels to do this or is it jacked up supported from the subframes?
I think done wrong could cause bad things to happen.
If everything is straight with the car it should make no difference what position the body is in to install or remove the brace. My factory welded in braces were removed in the ‘70’s, I installed braces from a Boss Mustang, ( Modified) they could be removed and reinstalled with out issue. I now have a one piece brace that is the same way, I also had my car on a rotisserie without any bracing and the structure stayed perfectly straight. The inner fenders, rocker panels, torque boxes, rear frame rails, and roof are what keeps the whole thing in line.(Uni-Body construction)
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Good to know thanks. I just finished a 67 Barracuda coupe unibody car and I know one has to take care with them.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

yrs ago,when I 1st took the engine and tranny out of my comet,sitting in my shop I put a floor jack under the right side frt frame rail,,,jacked it up to take tire off,,,the rear tire cleared the floor also,,the body was still so stiff and ridged,,,a friend was over there in his 66 2drht nova,,,we tried it on his,,,we couldn't even open a door on that chevy...both doors worked perfectly on my comet ...I patted him on the back and asked ...who makes the more tighter ridged body??? after all the years and miles on it now,,I wonder if it is still that way?? I really doubt it....pop
pop/glenda