My cat does not sit level------------

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
DesertRat

My cat does not sit level------------

Post by DesertRat »

My 65 Cyclone 4 speed car sits one inch lower on the right side both front and rear than the left side. This is measured at the apex of the fender well lips on all 4 corners and the results are repeatable.
I'm looking for suggestions of how to fix this. The car will have the drivetrain pulled out of it and be installed on a rotisserie and I would like to have something to think about. TIA---------------Douglas----------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

SASSY

Re: My cat does not sit level------------

Post by SASSY »

What about the lower suspension mounting points?
If they correspond maybe just springs.
I would think the car should be closer to level than an inch.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:07 am
What about the lower suspension mounting points?
If they correspond maybe just springs.
I would think the car should be closer to level than an inch.
Fred
The fact that it is equal front and rear puzzles me. I guess it could be time and torque. I'll check the subframe and rear suspension. Sorry about the cat typo.didn't catch it and I don't have a cat.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think the rear generally does what the front does ,at least on mine but I stiffened up with sub frame connectors. but I'd bet if you swap sides on the front coil springs it might even out ,or at least some. it would be labor only & should change it some,& that's easier than swapping leaf springs. if it helps new coils might be the way to go.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Have you checked to see if you have any twist-in spring spacers in the front? Its a stretch, but maybe you have a couple on the driver's side and the ones on the passenger side have popped out. Strange its the passenger side. Usually, if a car sags on one side due to spring/suspension fatigue, its the driver's side that's lower since there's always a driver. Maybe your car was used to chauffeur a very large passenger around. :lol: :lol:

Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks for the input guys. I have the car stripped and ready to go up on my new rotisserie. This car is just too cool to half bake so I'm going all rotisserie resto on it. I'm probably do the coil over and shave the shock towers and I want it all to be easy. I need to learn your photo posting protocol so I can post it up properly. Thanks for the input all.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Here's what I think is the best explanation of how to post pics using postimages.org. Works very well.

https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =1&t=16011

Jim