EARLY VS OLD SPINDLES AND CONTROL ARMS?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
62Cometman

EARLY VS OLD SPINDLES AND CONTROL ARMS?

Post by 62Cometman »

So I have a 62 Comet and I was replacing the suspension about 2 years back and the got a set of 63 spindles that required the larger upper ball joint so I bought a set of 64-66 style mustang/falcon/comet control arms and used the standard post 62 lowers which are the same as the mustang units, after installing all the pieces the upper control arms are too long the car had a lot of positive camber what I don't know cause I didn't think to check is the body itself what makes those longer control arms work or is there something different about the 64 and later v8 spindles that make those control arms work? im wondering cause I want to switch to the 65 steering setup and upgrade to the v8 spindles at the same time but I don't want to have issues with the control arm being too long and not being able to set my alignment
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

poboyjo65

Re: EARLY VS OLD SPINDLES AND CONTROL ARMS?

Post by poboyjo65 »

you should be fine when you get all 65 parts on it.but you'll need 65 spindles. all of it but the center link can be 65-66 mustang parts.the center link is comet/falcon specific. it is shorter than a stang. if you put 65 spindles on that'll set you up for bolt on disc & will fit kelsey hayes 4 piston type disc brakes (like shelbys of the era came with) . lots of us use the csrp ''swap 1'' manual brake kit, a repro version of kelsey hayes brakes. power brakes are really not necessary,unless you have leg problems. the only time I can tell it isnt PB is when I have to get on them really hard,I have to push a little harder than a power brake,but not much. they also seem to have a better feel than PB's .

lots of good info at the top of our drivetrain section, here;
https://cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=15083
Johno