Non power steering?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
smithhe

Non power steering?

Post by smithhe »

I have a 1964 comet 404 that I am building with a new engine, trans, suspension, etc. I almost have the car running and I am dying to drive it but my old power steering pump is completely burnt up and trash and I don't want to spend the money for a new one right now. if I just loop the lines together and don't run a power steering pump for a bit just to drive it around is that ok? just wondering if there are any adverse effects of doing this or if this would actually work, Thank you!
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

62Cometman

Re: Non power steering?

Post by 62Cometman »

no other than the lack of PS assist there is no detriment to what you wanna do, however I would take the pump off altogether If I was in your shoes, but you might find that trying to turn when barely moving or stop is hard as the PS boxes have a lower ratio like 12:1-16:1 vs the 20:1 or higher of a manual box, are you planning on replacing the power ram etc or just the pump? I know those ram units were notorious for leaks and other issues
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Yes I do plan to replace every part of the steering eventually because all of it is worn out but I just want to be able to drive the car while im waiting to save up for all of those parts. And I do have the pump off the car.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It'd probably steer easier if you take off the rest of it.
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

This has come up before and I have always recommended against it for this reason (but nobody else has validated my concern).

The PS control valve uses a ball valve attached to the pitman arm. It's a small steel ball valve set between two cupped pieces of steel, but it's all wrapped in there by a thin copper sleeve. The hole in the valve has to be larger than the ball for it to be removed, the sleeve holds it in place.

When you turn the wheel, the instant that ball moves ever so slightly, it re-directs the high pressure fluid and that fluid does all the work of moving the wheels, etc.

Without the high pressure fluid, you are essentially relying on the pitman to drag that ball valve back and forth with the entire force of the steering placed on that valve and the steel ball that is trapped in by a copper sleeve.

I have not tried it without fluid, but I suspect it will eventually destroy that sleeve and you could rip that ball valve right out of there under the force of the steering.

If you buy a "conversion" kit from PS to manual, they sell a solid steel piece that has the ball valve stud attached and it replaces the copper sleeve assembly that goes inside. Seems to me if it would work without the fluid, people wouldn't buy that kit, they would just remove the pump and hoses.

That's my two cents. I wouldn't drive it without the PS for very long this way.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

With all the people switching to 65 stuff maybe you could find some manual steering 64 stuff to use till you do the 65 upgrade.
Ive never been a fan of that slave stuff, check out poboyjo65's build for a better solution,, imo
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Rock Auto, $96.00

Put a new pump in it and forgo any problems. you'll slowly ruin the ball attachment.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mer ... +pump,7380

CometBruce