Caltracs Help

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
62Cometman

Caltracs Help

Post by 62Cometman »

I just had a not so nice conversation with one of the folks over at caltracs who told me that apparently all 60-65 comets used the same rear suspension setup, now i informed him nicely that the 60-63 were different than the 64-65 which he denied and said if that were the case they wouldnt be selling the kit, rather than attempt to argue with him further i just said well how come you offer the 60-63 falcon units and a specific 64-65 falcon unit, since they use the same style suspension as comet and the 60-63 should be exactly the same and he said well cause those are different than the comets :roll: i just thanked him for the help and hung up, so now my question to you all the 60-63 falcon units should be the correct kit i want for my 62 comet right? also do you think that the thicker wagon style spring pack would have any effect to the caltracs units since it would technically make the arm slightly longer ? or should that be negligible? Thanks for the help
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

barrys65cyclone

Re: Caltracs Help

Post by barrys65cyclone »

PM Mark [ 383MERC} he uses caltracts on 63 Comet

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

couldn't you just measure them eye to eye along the bottom & tell them what you have? Falcon has a different wheel base than comets, so probably different for all years. are yours 2.5'' wide like later comets?
Johno

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:44 am
couldn't you just measure them eye to eye along the bottom & tell them what you have? Falcon has a different wheel base than comets, so probably different for all years. are yours 2.5'' wide like later comets?
no mine are still just the 2" units like what the early falcons used, every spring company ive found shows the 60-63 falcons and comets used the same rear leaf spring and im definitely inclined to believe them since those springs matched the originals off my car exactly and bolted right up, the only difference being the upper bushing used in the frame and the shape of the shackle is flared to accommodate, other than that the front spring eye to the centering pin is the same on both, im pretty sure the WB difference was all body lengthening? which makes me wonder if the subfames are different or at least further apart
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It could be the guy is just mixed up but they probably dont make a 2'' wide version of the caltrax. so to use their traction bars you will need 2.5'' wide leafsprings & fab the mounts to hold them. it'd be easier to make your own caltracs.
Johno