GT40P heads in comet?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
cparker136

GT40P heads in comet?

Post by cparker136 »

Hey guys. I'm still trying to collect parts and have been looking for a 302 to rebuild. I keep running across Explorer 5.0's which have the GT40P heads in them. My understanding is that there is something odd about the spark plugs and that headers would be hard to match up. I'm OK with using shorty headers if they would fit in there with the shock towers. So, I guess my question is - Is anyone using GT40P heads in their Comet? If so, what headers are you using? Is it best to keep looking for a standard 302 or one with GT40 non "P" heads? Everyone seems to want an arm and leg for basically a 302 core nowadays..

By the way, my Comet is a 1963 if that matters. Thanks!

Joe Travers

Re: GT40P heads in comet?

Post by Joe Travers »

Not running GT40P but AFR using same 14mm plug and angle, I believe. From what I've read, Sanderson shorties are best fit. Dive into the 5.0L Mustang forums to confirm this. I'm running Hookers in my '63 but they do pose a problem with these heads. #3 loves to burn wire boots because the plug is a very tight fit. The only solution I have found is MSD 90 degree button-type boot for that wire. Still very tight. May need to go Accel shorty header plugs as well.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Like Joe said, check out the for sale section 64-66 Mustangs, this one isn’t bad, I almost bought this car.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads ... e.1186356/

Motor Safe,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

cparker136

Post by cparker136 »

Thanks guys. It looks like the main issue is with spark plug wires. I haven't seen anything about the headers not fitting between the shock towers which is my main concern. I'm still getting the car torn down but it won't be too long before I have to start putting things back together. I need to start collecting parts!
Attachments
Car 2.JPG
Car 2.JPG (60.5 KiB) Viewed 1285 times

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Do you plan to upgrade the 6 cyl steering and brakes with all that new power?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

cparker136

Post by cparker136 »

Yes sir. I think my plan is to use the 65 V8 steering, like the sticky thread, combined with a Borgeson P/S box. I will also do some version of the Granada brake swap. I see CSRP has a 1-1/2" drop spindle that has struck my interest.

I still have a ton of work to do before I start adding parts and I think I have decided to go ahead and tear the car completely down. I have been reading about these wooden tip jigs that put the car on its side and they look like a less expensive way to do things that a rotisserie would do. Knowing my luck though, I'd probably drop the car somehow. We'll see if I have that kind of gumption.

Anyways, I'm hoping to have some of these parts acquired before I need them. My wife will be a lot happier if I buy small amounts along the way instead of buying them all at once.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Happy to read that!
"Small amounts along the way" lol
A buddy told his wife "don't sell the cars for what I told you I paid" when he's gone.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

cparker136 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:22 pm
I have been reading about these wooden tip jigs that put the car on its side and they look like a less expensive way to do things that a rotisserie would do. Knowing my luck though, I'd probably drop the car somehow. We'll see if I have that kind of gumption.
Mike (Lavron) built a rollover jig for his build. Although I was concerned about the safety of it, it turned out to work very well and made a lot of his work a lot easier. His adventure with the jig starts on about page 105 of his build thread.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058&start=1560

He later posted a video of him flipping it by himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu5LUXtvzho

Food for thought.

Jim

cparker136

Post by cparker136 »

Thanks for the links Jim. That is a better version of what I was thinking, but I like it. I hadn't seen one where you can roll it both ways before. That's pretty sweet!