Master cylinder

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
mictlan62

Master cylinder

Post by mictlan62 »

Can I change to a dual master cylinder, from the original single one I have on my 1965 come caliente?

SASSY

Re: Master cylinder

Post by SASSY »

Assume drum brakes all around?
Yes, I used one from an early Maverick all drums.
Read through Driveline lots a info on brakes and steering.
Consider going to disc brakes on the front before spending any more on the drums.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yes ! My disc kit came with a dual MC. so I'm not sure what car to get one from but Comethead does,he's always mentioning it but I cant remember but needs to be for whatever type brakes you have mine is disc/drum (front & back) so if you still have drums on front you need one for drum/drum.& from a car about the same weight as yours. & there are different ones for power & manual brakes.

Most of us use a kit from CSRP & chockostang has about the same kits.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

If your car is a V8 car disc brakes are a simple change. You want to do the master anyway and that's probably to toughest part.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:48 am
Yes ! My disc kit came with a dual MC. so I'm not sure what car to get one from but Comethead does,he's always mentioning it but I cant remember but needs to be for whatever type brakes you have mine is disc/drum (front & back) so if you still have drums on front you need one for drum/drum.& from a car about the same weight as yours. & there are different ones for power & manual brakes.

Most of us use a kit from CSRP & chockostang has about the same kits.
Yessir I have a Maverick manual disc/drum dual MC on the Comet. The manual MC bore is 15/16” and I believe the power disc MC is 1” (or larger).
One thing to consider (hope my memory is right here) is that the Mavericks used an external combination valve that had a residual pressure and proportioning valves built in. So I had to plumb both those valves separate from the MC. Early Mustang dual MCs had the RPV built in.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

I posted a "Granada" brake set with master cylinder in the classifieds. Free if you can pick it up.