Master cylinder pushrod length

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
351 Pinto

Master cylinder pushrod length

Post by 351 Pinto »

Everyone probably knows this already, but I just learned that if the adjustable master cylinder pushrod is a tad long, the brakes will work fine for a couple of stops, but the pressure in the calipers does not fully release each time. Around the 5th or 6th stop, the calipers won't release at all. You will have to "burp" the bleed valves to get them to release so you can move the car. And then it happens again on the way back home.

On a related note, soon after learning that, I also learned that if the adjustable master cylinder pushrod is a tad short, the brakes will work but the pedal will be soft and travel much farther than you want it to travel.

I do stupid things so the rest of you don't have to...

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Master cylinder pushrod length

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Been down that road. Trial and error, eventually got them working great.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

351 Pinto wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:44 pm
Gawd I wish you'd a told me sooner!! Lol
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

351 Pinto wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:44 pm
:lol: :lol:

It’s a fine line with those adjustable push rods. Both my 65 Comet and 64 Falcon have them. I have them both adjusted so there is just a touch of clearance and pulling the pedal back hits the upper bump stop before the rod has a chance of coming out of the MC piston.
So to remove the rod I have to screw it in all the way.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

through out all the yrs of messing with these old fords,,,,yrs before an adjustable rod was discovered on some lost planet...if I had a short rod by just a tad...I would drop the correct size of a steel ball in the MC first,,then the rod....done many that way...still do it today once in awhile on a race car...it will never come out ,,never flatten never give a moment of trouble....today I put a dab of anti seiz on tip of rod....it works,,trust me .....POP
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:06 am
through out all the yrs of messing with these old fords,,,,yrs before an adjustable rod was discovered on some lost planet...if I had a short rod by just a tad...I would drop the correct size of a steel ball in the MC first,,then the rod....done many that way...still do it today once in awhile on a race car...it will never come out ,,never flatten never give a moment of trouble....today I put a dab of anti seiz on tip of rod....it works,,trust me .....POP
That my friends is a nugget!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Bookmarked! :wink:

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that little trick was shown to me as a very young man ,by one of 2 of the smartest ford men around...one was a drag racer and the other drove dirt track.the dirt tracker has passed away,the drag racer is in his 80's...back in the 60's there was a drag strip local here in town..it's a shopping center today..but he set and still holds the record for the fastest flathead V8 ford,,a 1936...both knew more about a ford then OL HENRY himself,,,both also worked for the RR and was very close friends of mine,,thier main thing was don't spend anymore money then needed,,,make do with what is on hand,,,,and they were just great guys in general...but ,I've never known a true blue blooded ford man that wasn't.........thanks POP
pop/glenda