STEERING ISSUES

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
fryedaddy

STEERING ISSUES

Post by fryedaddy »

i went to the grocery store in my comet the other day and on the way home my car was moving around a lot. it kinda scared me a little. when i got home i jacked up the front and checked it out.the pass side wheel was tight and felt ok,but the driver side was different,i cant wiggle the wheel up and down but side to side it is loose.it has play in it.you can wiggle it a inch or more without the steering wheel moving.im no front end man.would this be a tie rod or something.i guess i need to get under the car while someone wiggles the wheel so i can see whats moving.any ideas?
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

poboyjo65

Re: STEERING ISSUES

Post by poboyjo65 »

You just answered your own question. Yea get a buddy & see where the slop is.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I use to wiggle in front of my wife an sometimes she would get frisky,,,,, now she says,,,,, get out of my way!! :lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I'd pop the spindle nut off first and check the wheel bearing.
Don't need help w/ that one.

Fred, you brute! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

fryedaddy wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:01 pm
i went to the grocery store in my comet the other day and on the way home my car was moving around a lot. it kinda scared me a little. when i got home i jacked up the front and checked it out.the pass side wheel was tight and felt ok,but the driver side was different,i cant wiggle the wheel up and down but side to side it is loose.it has play in it.you can wiggle it a inch or more without the steering wheel moving.im no front end man.would this be a tie rod or something.i guess i need to get under the car while someone wiggles the wheel so i can see whats moving.any ideas?
Probably a tie rod on drivers side, inner or outer. If it was idler or pitman you would feel some play on other side too. If it was ball joints or bearings you would have play up and down.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:15 pm
Probably a tie rod on drivers side, inner or outer. If it was idler or pitman you would feel some play on other side too. If it was ball joints or bearings you would have play up and down.
I agree exactly on all points.

Jim