Right Stuff Brake kit

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Hitman

Right Stuff Brake kit

Post by Hitman »

Hey, all. Making small amounts of progress on my Mom’s 66 Caliente. I’m rebuilding the shifter and the shifter mount. Cleaned out the fuel lines and tank, I’ll put those and the floor pan in this weekend. I got the door and ignition keyed and put my Mustang wheels on it for inspiration.

Now to order the brake kit. I figure I might as well do 4 wheel disc conversion, and I might as well do power brakes. The Right Stuff kit is about 1500 bucks.

https://rpui.com/The-Right-Stuff/The-Ri ... Ford-9-/8-

I couldn’t find any info around here on that one. Anyone used this kit? If not, I guess I’ll do a review of it as I install it. Looks like it should bolt right up. I have the 8 inch rear so I assume there is only one bracket for that rear. I’m going to find out if there is anything else I need before beginning.

If you guys know of anything I need to be aware of or special tools I might need please feel free. I’m trying to get this on the road on a budget and I don’t really know what I’m doing.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

Caveman49

Re: Right Stuff Brake kit

Post by Caveman49 »

I got a manual disc brake setup from Dan at http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/ for our 66 Comet. I didn’t think our 66 needed the rear disc, but did put new drums on the back. That looks like a pretty decent setup at the Right Stuff (make sure it’ll work on your car) you might consider their front only disc setup, or call Dan and see what he can do for you, just my opinion.

It was a straight forward swap, no special tools that I recall. I’m hoping to change out the upper and lower control arms along with roller spring perches, a 1” sway bar (purchased from Opentracker), and Bilstein shocks, some day here in the near future. Only special tool for my front end work was a good coil spring compressor. This is the one I use https://www.zoro.com/otc-front-coil-spr ... lsrc=3p.ds there are various types of spring compressors out there though.

Enjoy the build!
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

If you're on a budget & running a relatively stock engine, I would stick to rear drums.
Possible upgrade is HD wagon set-up. I would like to go to the wider pads & drums but haven't chased availability.
Old-school racer upgrade.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Normally I would be on a budget, but this is my keep-forever car so I’m going buy-once-cry-once. I probably don’t need power brakes either but it’s 100 bucks difference.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Hitman wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:24 pm
Normally I would be on a budget, but this is my keep-forever car so I’m going buy-once-cry-once. I probably don’t need power brakes either but it’s 100 bucks difference.
Good attitude :D

You will need to run 15" dia or larger wheels

Lou

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Already have 18" wheels on it. That was my first mod. :lol:
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Well to begin the review…

RPUI.COM listed the kit in stock. Red calipers were the only option available to order. I ordered on the sixth of October. After paying them, I got an update that it would ship yesterday. I called today and they told me to call back on Friday. After kindly asking for an update now, I was put on hold for ten minutes and then told it would ship the first weekend in November.

So much for doing this conversion when the weather is nice. Looks like I should have bought the kit you guys recommended as I would at least have it done by now.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Second update: Called for an update, as I was told it would be shipped this week, and they still don't have a booster, and tell me two weeks.

I got a refund.

They said they had it in stock. I could have gotten the one from Summit by this point.

Back to square one. I think I'll try the kit you guys recommended.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente