Need help with my shifter

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Hitman

Need help with my shifter

Post by Hitman »

I got my shifter rebuilt, cleaned up and working perfectly. And my kid knocked it off the counter onto the tile floor, swept the pieces that he could find back up and set it back on the counter without telling me. I can't get the button to engage anymore so I know it's wrong. I can't find a breakdown of it online. Does someone have some pictures of assembly so I can get this thing going again? There is a spring here that may or may not go in the handle, but I haven't had any luck getting it to operate. Also, it's been over a month since I did it and I just don't remember how it worked.

It's the '66 floor shifter for the C4 with the FoMoCo logo on it.

Thanks in advance.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

poboyjo65

Re: Need help with my shifter

Post by poboyjo65 »

did it have a t handle? here are a couple 3 fords , does it have a console or just a lone shifter & base? there was another one with a round knob, I'm not real familiar with 66 & later.

but this is where I find them ,you gotta look thru it, & some stuff is hidden in the wrong sections .all the diagrams are on the left side. it was in the auto trans section;
https://www.squarebirds.org/Manuals/196 ... talogs.htm
Johno

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

[*]This is all I could find in my manual. Johno, tough visuals on that link, my eyes aren’t seeing it to good.
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Caveman that one of yours looks like a closer up version of the center diagram I posted . yea I have to zoom way in to see the links on a desk top. but it is a good one to save ,,for when you cant find an easier source . but hard to find stuff in it,,,but you gotta work for it! lol
Johno

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Yeah it’s the center one Lee posted, which looks to be the same as the one Johno posted. Thanks to both of you. Sorry for taking so long to respond. A thousand projects.

It looks like I have it put back together correctly, but the button on the T handle isn’t wanting to spring back. Maybe I didn’t get it cleaned out well and it got stiff. I’ll keep messing with it now that I know there are no missing pieces.

Meanwhile, my other kid cleaned out the fuel tank for me and lost the drain plug. I now know why my dad never let me help him. 😂
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

If I remember correctly you have to make sure the tab at the top of the shift lever is in the notch of the push button when you install the T handle. The return spring is located in the lever not the handle. I had a similar issue with the shift lever in my Aviator, the interlock button was not indexed to the tab in the lever and would not unlock the shifter.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:52 pm
If I remember correctly you have to make sure the tab at the top of the shift lever is in the notch of the push button when you install the T handle.
I think you're correct, Jim. I vaguely remember tackling a C4 shifter in one of my Mustangs long ago w/ this problem.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi