200 six manual transmission choice

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
gmsnowball

200 six manual transmission choice

Post by gmsnowball »

I installed a 200 CI 6 from a 68 Mustang in my 202 Comet. The 202 was an automatic. I have installed the Z bar and pedals so I can install a standard transmission. What transmission would best fit and work? I have a 3 speed manual from a 65 Falcon but I think it may need an overhaul. I also have a 4 speed from a 289 Cyclone but I would like to save it for my Ranchero project. I believe the 200 6 has a 6 bolt pattern. I will need everything from the block back and probably the pilot bushing as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

power band

Re: 200 six manual transmission choice

Post by power band »

by 1968 your 200 should have the 'dual drilled' bellhouse pattern and FW unique to the later 170/200 small block six.. Providing 200 does have the larger bellhouse pattern, any manual 200 with a "TOPLOADER" 3 speed will have a Bellhouse that can use the strong-all synchro 3.03 Toploader used in all small six and small block non-HiPo cars. The 4 Spd 'Toploader" will fit but Hi=Po Toploaders are different. There are also 'Imposter' 4 speed Toploaders with an Overdrive available which also bolt to 200 six unique bellhouse.

The earlier '2.77 non-synchro 3 speed "peanut" tranny uses a different bellhouse,clutch, FW and linkage.

The later Toploader Bellhouse also accepts later diaphragm 9" clutches for smoother shifts (Fairmont/Mustang etc) .

Toploader 3 speeds - Mustang with floor shifter bosses and Maverick w/o for column 3OTT.

for a huge improvement in drivability, there are adapter plates available that convert Toploader Bellhouse to accept the 5spd T5 Overdrive transmission. The T5 will bolt right to the 200 Bell - W/Adapter BUT requires some modification and/fabrication.

I use a Maverick 170 (C8DE) and Bellhouse (# C7ZA ) on the '63 Wagon with an adapter plate to a T5 to original 3.50:1 rear.. Rear mount, body crossmember and DS needed some modification. Original Z-bar clutch linkage with slight mod' is used.

Image .Image . Image . Image . Image . Image

I found it strange that my '76 Comet still used the SMALL PATTERN bellhouse pattern from original 144 Falcon motor for the C4!.

I never learned to drive an automatic...

have fun

Dual drilled bellhouse pattern block.

small bell pattern C4 bell on '76:

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Great information, thanks. Now all I need to do is find a good top loader 3 or 4 speed that will fit, If none are available I may just stick a C4 back in it. I have already installed the pedals, Z bar, new non auto radiator, new Hurst 3 speed shifter, removed the auto shift collar etc but I could go back with an auto if I have to.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

gmsnowball wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:13 pm
I have already installed the pedals, Z bar, new non auto radiator, new Hurst 3 speed shifter, removed the auto shift collar etc but I could go back with an auto if I have to.
You should be able to find a 3.03 Toploader pretty reasonably priced.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

I have a top loader 4 speed and a 5 bolt bell housing on a built 289 I was saving for another project. Will the 5 bolt bell housing bolt up to the dual bolt pattern 200 ?

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Rebuild kits and parts aren't that expensive for the 3.03 you already own.

Just a thought....

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi