69 Mustang Disc Brakes into 64 Comet

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
warren1328

69 Mustang Disc Brakes into 64 Comet

Post by warren1328 »

Hi All,
I have a line on a set of 69 Mustang disc brakes, complete including the spindles.
Can anyone please advise if these will work with:
- Tie Rod ends and upper and lower control arms
- Standard steel wheels (especially the centre hole size)
Thanks in advance.

Caveman49

Re: 69 Mustang Disc Brakes into 64 Comet

Post by Caveman49 »

I personally don’t know but you may want to check with Dan over at chockostang, he has much knowledge on these things. I bought my disc brake setup for our 66 Comet from him.
http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com
Motor Safe,
Lee

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

You supplied the make of car but you did not include what engine the car came with from the factory. ( six cylinder or V 8). It makes a difference because the front suspension parts differ between the two types of engines.
I can tell you that with a V8 car 1970 Boss 302 spindles and disc brakes bolt right on, the only difference is the outer tie rod taper on Boss spindles is deeper than normal Mustang spindles so a different tie rod end is needed. With “ normal” Mustang spindles this is probably not an issue. You need to convert to a dual master cylinder with the appropriate size bore, this will depend on what rear brakes you are using.
As for the wheels, measure the center hole of the wheels you plan to use and compare them to the spindles you have, again more information would be needed to supply a definite answer.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

warren1328

Post by warren1328 »

Thanks for the answers above.
Comet is a 64, 260 V8, 3sp manual.
The std wheels have 2.5" centre hole. Will know more about the brakes when I see them.
Will also chase up Dan for some further information.
Cheers