Removing wheel studs from a disc brake.

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
tntrash

Removing wheel studs from a disc brake.

Post by tntrash »

After my first drive around the block I found that the brakes were pulsing. Over the weekend I pulled the front discs apart and after a trip to the auto parts store, I found that I have a warped rotor. They made one pass to check for warpage and didn't charge me because they were already under minimum spec for thickness. I ordered new discs and got them today. My question is about getting the wheel studs out to transfer over. Will I need to get someone with a press to do it or can they be hammered out? Discs cost enough, I dont want to break anything else!! Oh yeah, my disc setup is from a 67 Mustang.

SASSY

Re: Removing wheel studs from a disc brake.

Post by SASSY »

Put a socket or piece of pipe over the stud so it rests solid on the disk and clears the stud, place the socket on a solid place, anvil, put the nut not all the way onto the stud and smack it! Pressing it out would be better if ya got one. Toss the nut out
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Aussiecomet64

Post by Aussiecomet64 »

I'd be inclined to just go to the nearest auto shop and buy a new set of studs; after all, the old ones have seen plenty of duty over the years.
They can be drifted out as mentioned, I have been known to salvage them in the past this way also, but if you want to save damage to the nuts as well, try this method:
Place disc on work bench, studs pointing up.
Grab a steel punch that is slightly smaller than the stud diameter (a flat-ended punch, not a pointy one), and a ball-peen hammer.
Wind a nut onto the stud, just so the last thread is not on, but forms a small hollow in the top of the stud.
Apply a generous amount of heat (via an oxy torch) to the flange face of the disc, in the area around the stud, and as the area heats up and expands, a decent whack to the end of the stud will dislodge it with minimal effort, avoiding damage to the stud OR the nut.

:D I love oxy :D

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Are you sure that's the right rotors? the one behind looks like a rear :?
Johno

tntrash

Post by tntrash »

poboyjo65 wrote:Are you sure that's the right rotors? the one behind looks like a rear :?
Yes it is the same. It just doesn't have the top piece that holds the bearing on it. That is what I need to get off and mount to the new.

comethead

Post by comethead »

I believe the entire hub needs to be removed and pressed on not just the studs.
They sell one piece new rotors ready to bolt in like this one http://www.cjponyparts.com/disc-brake-r ... 967/p/BR1/

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

tntrash

Post by tntrash »

comethead wrote:I believe the entire hub needs to be removed and pressed on not just the studs.
They sell one piece new rotors ready to bolt in like this one http://www.cjponyparts.com/disc-brake-r ... 967/p/BR1/

Joe
Wish i'd known about those! Same price of what I got without all the work to do. I have a buddy with a press. Guess I will head to his house this weekend.

tntrash

Post by tntrash »

Got those studs out today. Not to hard with a big enuff hammer! Several were bent so I am taking the advice to replace them all. Advance auto had no luck matching them up. Orielly found them after they pulled out a big catalog. They had 3 in stock, the rest should be in tomorrow. Might get it back together this weekend! Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

ants875

Post by ants875 »

I have a copper hammer I use, set the rotor on the ground an about two smacks and they are out even one the k e ton truck rotors. Then flip the new one over and a long heavy punch and a big hammer and your done.

Have literally done a hundred of then never ever a problem

Ant