Engine Boring

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
lavron
Site Admin

Engine Boring

Post by lavron »

With my cylinders in the 250 at less than .005 out from factory specs, should I have it bored or just a good hone and rebuild?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Re: Engine Boring

Post by Rocket989 »

I'd let the machinist tell you, but I'd bore it whatever the minimum is just to ensure roundness and consistency 'tween cylinders.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I decided I would anyway after I posted that, I figure if I am going to do it, it just as well be right.

I want to deck the block anyway and when I rented the ridge reamer today from O'Reilly I checked again on price and it is $25 a cylinder from them so just as well do it, I will have the added expense of new pistons but at least I will be more confident in the motor.

I am going to try and check another machine shop that is more local that has been recommended to see how price compares.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I looked up the specs for a SBF - out of round 0.005", taper 0.010"

I'm sure the six would be similar. If it were me I'd run the short block as is, or maybe do rings and bearings, and spend the money elsewhere, but its up to you. I'm betting that motor only had 68K on it.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I may let a machinist check it like Rocket suggested, I know I want to deck the block because there is almost 1/8" deck height above the piston top, so if I am taking it for that I may as well have them check the bores for me, they will most likely be more accurate than me with telescope gauges and a dial caliper.
redhotcomet wrote:I'm betting that motor only had 68K on it.
I am pretty sure it was owned by a little old lady that only drove it to Church on Sunday, that is what I think about everything I buy from the JY :roll: :P the head gasket was not the original however (pretty sure) because I thought the originals were a steel shim and this one was a composite gasket, but by '77 Ford may have switched to a composite gasket.

This was one of the first motors where I did not break any bolts removing them except the thermostat housing bolt but I did not care because I didn't take the head because it was cracked across the carb mount, so I didn't pull the exhaust manifold either and those are the ones I usually twist off. I just pulled the T-Stat housing because it is aluminum and has the Ford script on it. There was no T-Stat BTW.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

(Potentially) Newer head gasket and no thermostat sounds to me like it might have had an overheating problem so maybe it got parked? Probably a good idea to have a machinist check it and make sure the block isn't cracked.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Like the guy at the JY said, "There is a reason these cars are here"

I certainly know the head was cracked and the exhaust manifold as well, plus the ignition module was melted and had been disconnected from the inner fender already, I would think it was a combination of issues that sent that car to the scrap heap, I don't see any issues with the black but it does need to be checked before sinking more cash into it, I cleaned it a little more this morning and my next task is to finish stripping the parts out of the block and deciding what direction to take the rebuild.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread