1964 Stock 200-6 to C4 Kickdown Cable

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
FuzzyDriver

1964 Stock 200-6 to C4 Kickdown Cable

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Background: I complained about JEGS in a different post and then started a specific post this morning on FordSix asking for advice. Hopefully someone there or here can help; I'm at my wit's end.

What is the best way to hookup a 1964 with a stock 200-6 (Autolite 1100) to the kickdown lever on a C4?

Can a '65 Comet/Mustang/Falcon kickdown cable attach to where the '64 kickdown rod was on the throttle linkage, thereby ignoring the carburetor bracket issue altogether?

Alternatively, are there brackets and lever extensions to hook up a cable from the C4 kickdown lever to the Autolite 1100? I was misled by JEGS into buying a 157036 kit. Their tech dude said it would hook up to the 1100 and no extra brackets, etc. were needed. I still have the C4 end hooked up and the cable running over the C4 and up alongside the 1100 (not shown in picture). Here's a picture of my 1100 (SCV/AT):

OK...so she might need a little work.Image

FuzzyDriver

Re: 1964 Stock 200-6 to C4 Kickdown Cable

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Not getting any reply so maybe this will help understand. Here are two photos of the rod that was on my Comet when I got it. It doesn't look stock to me, not that I've seen one before, but the welded piece connecting the two ends looks non-stock. It also seems strange that the rod goes next to the transmission, around the gear select, and then comes back out to the kickdown lever. Do you other '64 Comet owners have this same rod? Why doesn't it just go straight down to the lever and never get near the gear select? The '65 has a cable running down to a kickdown lever from the throttle linkage. My question is can I attach a '65 cable between my '64 throttle linkage and kickdown lever? Can I do it, but I need a '65 kickdown lever, too? Or something else?

Here's the photos. Note the bend in the rod that takes it towards the transmission, around the gear select lever, before heading up to the throttle linkage, yet the two ends are in-line with each other:

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Do you have accelerator bellcrank mounted on the firewall?
I pulled the 1100 off a 200 w/ C4 a few times couple of years ago and don't remember any kickdown device on the carb.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

There isn't any kickdown linkage of any kind on the carburetor. This rod runs from the stock throttle linkage (throttle "bell-crank", I guess) down to the kickdown lever. Does your kickdown rod look like this one, with the weird "hook" going around the gear shift lever on the C4?

BTW, I looked at ≈30 replacement kickdown rods on various sites and none of them had this shape on the end; they all went straight to the lever and none had a welded in piece like mine does.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

The '65 w/ the slush box I was working on belonged to a friend. I don't have any clear pictures of the kickdown.
Post a pic of the bellcrank, maybe that will help.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Joe,
Bubba on FordSix informed me that Mercury/Ford did not put a C4 in any 1964 Comets/Falcons, only Mustangs, and the rod I photographed is a modified (cut & welded) Merc-O-Matic kickdown rod, very likely the original rod from when the PO replaced my Comet's Merc-O-Matic with the C4.

I ordered the '65 200-6 kickdown cable and lever from eClassics. Once it gets here, I'll see what it takes to hook the two together at the linkage and post a photo or two for future readers who run into the same problem. I'd hate to see others have the same problems.