Push rod sleeve

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
61 Waycrosscomet

Push rod sleeve

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

does anyone have a link as to what the valve push rod sleeve looks like. I think I am F'd, as one sleeve has moved? This is after replacing the
valve stem seals. I didn't want to remove the push rods but had to in order to use the spring compressor tool. That part went ok.
My shop manual doesn't have a picture of the sleeve, just says to make sure push rod goes in sleeve. they all did but one.

Joe Travers

Re: Push rod sleeve

Post by Joe Travers »

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Need to see your perceived boo-boo.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

61 Waycrosscomet

update: so this sleeve is the 'lifter'? that appears to have fallen on its side. I read someone with an inline 6 200 had the same thing happen to him.
i'm not sure which end is suppose to be up? if I can even get it to go that way. such a tight spot.
Still, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. will try anything before having to pull the head.

61 Waycrosscomet

Hi Joe,
unfortunately I don't think I can get a picture of it. I will try though. there is something round sitting above the cam, like it fell out of place.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

You may be able to access the lifter with a telescopic magnet, if you can see it and get to it.
I have one that has a small head that may fit into a pushrod hole but not positive.
Cup end goes up for the pushrod to seat. (Almost) flat end goes down into the bore and sits on the cam lobe.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

61 Waycrosscomet

well problem lies in the fact that it is on its side. so I can't tell which end is which.
one end is kinda brass colored looking for about a quarter inch or so, then its grey steel color.
can't imagine how surgeons work with just tiny little holes in ones skin!!

61 Waycrosscomet

Beers all around. got the sleeve (lifter) back into place. using a chop stick and a long thin knitting needle.
now to put the rest back together.....

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Glad you got it! :D I think removing the lifter cover would have been easier than taking off the head if the fishing trip didnt work. You stumped me ,never heard of a pushrod sleeve .
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

61 Waycrosscomet wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:20 pm
Beers all around.
Just drank 2 4 U. :lol:
Now it's fried catfish; living the high life.
Get those valves lashed correctly! Holler if you get stumped.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

61 Waycrosscomet wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:20 pm
got the sleeve (lifter) back into place. using a chop stick and a long thin knitting needle.
Well, if my wife asks what I want for my toolbox for Christmas, I'll know what to tell her. :lol:

Jim

61 Waycrosscomet

Just a couple follow up questions: someone mentioned a lifter cover? Not sure what that is or looks like. I haven't seen it in my book.
My shop manual doesn't mention 'lifters', but I assume that is what my manual is calling sleeves. again it doesn't show a picture of them, which
I thought was odd.

To Joe: after tipping over a lifter and getting it back in place, I was just happy to carefully place the rocker arm assembly back on, and with
the plugs all out carefully turned over engine to make sure the push rods all worked ok. they did.
put the plugs in, valve cover on, fired it up. ran just fine. no knocking or pinging.

when I fired it up this morning, there was some whitish smoke for a few seconds, then went more blue in color, then gradually disappeared
after it warmed up. So I may still have an issue somewhere. head gasket leaking somewhere?

would a compression test on the cylinders help me any? I do have an old gauge.

btw, ALL but one valve stem seal was toast. either the rounded top was totally gone, or the whole seal was busted apart.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

The majority of the time, if valve seals are toast, the rings probably are as well.

Only way to find out is to do compression test.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

61 Waycrosscomet wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:56 pm
Just a couple follow up questions: someone mentioned a lifter cover? Not sure what that is or looks like. I haven't seen it in my book.
Sorry I never knew these earlier 200's didn't have the cover. I think it's actually called a pushrod cover. 300's have them,& so 240's would as well, down below the head all way down the side of the block with center bolts holding it on. I would have been needling for that sucker too,I would have fished all weekend for it. that's when a man gets krafty. He'll do anything to keep from popping a head off or the likes! :lol:
Johno