Smoke

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
vanderwaal

Smoke

Post by vanderwaal »

Accidentally started this tread over in the 64-64 forum when it probably should have gone here instead.

200 in the Comet seems to run beautifully. Bumps right off, idles smoothly... but once it comes up to temperature it smells heavily of gasoline and pours white smoke out of the tailpipe. Does that sound like a head gasket to y'all?
If you've only got a thousand dollars / you oughta just buy a good guitar / learn how to play it, it'll take you farther / than any ol' thousand dollar car... The Bottlerockets.

Carltone Cigar Box Guitars

Ocboheme

Re: Smoke

Post by Ocboheme »

Sounds a lot like an issue I'm having. Was suspecting a carburation problem. More smoke with acceleration, stripped adjustment screw, and dumping gas into the intake. Was just about to pull mine for a rebuild when a lifter collapsed :x So now I'll be pulling the head for a valve job, installing new lifters, & rebuilding the carb. I hope your solution is much more simple.

popscomet

Re: Smoke

Post by popscomet »

Does your car have an automaric trans ?? the modulater on the back of trans is vacum operated,,there is a steel line going from intake down to it ,,they sometimes go bad,,thus letting the motor suck tranny fluid from tranny into intake causing it to puff white smoke,,so look at fluid level and pay close attention to the smoke ,,,,or is the color ,,steam? IF you have a stick ,,disregard what I said,,,fluid makes white smoke,,,water makes steam ,plus mod valve bad can cause a vaucum leak,there fore tranny won't shift proper,,,this stuff may not help but it might help you in a different direction,,good luck thanks pop
pop/glenda