Unleaded fuel question

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
1962Comet

Unleaded fuel question

Post by 1962Comet »

Ok, remember, I'm a newbie when it comes to older cars. Now, I've driven cars from the 60's & early 70's before, I just drove them when they were new. And of course, back then, regular gas was leaded. So now I have a '62 Comet and I'm wondering what folks do for fuel. I know of the lead additives and I've read pro's and con's on using them. If that is what is needed, is there a preferred brand of additive that I should use. Now I don't plan on having a daily driver, but I expect to put some miles on the car each year.

I'd love to hear what others do to keep their engines running in this lead free world.

Thanks,
Dan
Last edited by 1962Comet on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1962 Comet - 2-Door, 170 cu.in. with 6,950 Original Miles.
https://www.dplivingston.com/picking-up ... -62-comet/ <-- follow my 1962 Comet Restoration.

B_Hix

Re: Unleaded fuel question

Post by B_Hix »

My first old car was a 63 Ford Fairlane - due to the whole lead/unleaded fuel issue I ended up taking the heads off and getting hardened seats installed. I don't know what motor you're running, but odds are if you were to swap heads for some more modern one's you'd probably see much improved performance and of course the fuel issue would go away. You can generally find a perfectly good set of non roller 302 heads around here for 75-150.00, and if you want E7TE heads or GT40-P's you can find them for just a little more ready to go.

Sorry I can't offer advice on lead additives, just never dealt with that.

Good luck!
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DAN, you got 2 chos,,,drive it ,it'll be ok,,,,or pull the head and have harden seats put in,,,this 51 flat-head ford I got(15 yrs) has and still runs great and I 've drove it out of state few times pulling a small trailor,so thats the way I look at it..besides if that head has ever been rebuilt since middle to late 70s,it has harden seats (valve) already in it,more than likely,,least it would down here,,,,If it ain't broke....don't fix it.......drive and enjoy.....JMO.....pop
pop/glenda

1962Comet

Post by 1962Comet »

Pops,

Thanks, The more I read, the more I understand that unless under great loads (like pulling a trailer) I should not have a problem. The engine has very few miles on it and it has never been worked on, so I may leave it be, for now.

Dan
1962 Comet - 2-Door, 170 cu.in. with 6,950 Original Miles.
https://www.dplivingston.com/picking-up ... -62-comet/ <-- follow my 1962 Comet Restoration.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

now ya talkin.......drive the fire out of it.......or call me and I'll come and get it and do it for you..................pop
pop/glenda