144 problems?

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
johnmay2575

144 problems?

Post by johnmay2575 »

Are there any known issues with the 144? The one i got the guy said it was parked due to an issue with the top end so i was just wondering what the common problems where with these engines?
1963 Comet S22

popscomet

Re: 144 problems?

Post by popscomet »

MORE than likely your little 144 has issues with the valve train due to lack of oiling properly,,if I had to guess,,that little motor was from a time when ,there wasn't as good of oil on the market as today,most people used a non-detergent oil,,,AND they didn't change it often.Those were tough little motors,just don't exspect to out run a fat man in it,,but with proper care and a bit of TLC you should get good service out of it.this is JMO,but you might put some good HD oil in it and run it ,it might clean out some stopped up oil passages,this has worked for me a few times in the past when dealing with a old motor ,good luck .take care.............. :D pop :D
pop/glenda

johnmay2575

Post by johnmay2575 »

cool thanks. Im getting ready to check it out and see if its saveable. I just want to get it running it will make the wife happy lol.
1963 Comet S22

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

When you get it running if it ain't knocking and it puts the oil light out,run it til it gets to normal temp.,,,it may knock and rattle right at 1st,depending on how long its been since ran last ) then I would drain old oil ,change filter/add good HD oil and run it for some time(miles) and then change filter and add 1 qt of oil.Do this a time or 2,then you should be in good shape,,,now all this depends if your little motor is 1/2 ass good to start with.best of luck to you ,,if you need help on most anything,,your at the best place for it,,there is some pretty sharp guys on here that thrive on being of help.......thank-you....... :shock: pop :D
pop/glenda