T-Ash

62 comet v8 conversion

Post by T-Ash »

What drive line will I need for the c4 trans and 8" rear end

poboyjo65

Re: 62 comet v8 conversion

Post by poboyjo65 »

Where are you?
I have one from a 65 3sp & 8''rear in w Tenn.
do you have the trans yoke?
Johno

T-Ash

Post by T-Ash »

I'm in utah the only thing I have is the original drive line from the inline 6 just trying to find what drive line I need

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

I think some more info is needed? What all are you looking for? Your first post mentioned a c4 and 8inch which by most would be a driveline minus the engine. Are you looking for driveshaft length or suggestions on additional parts for the swap?
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

T-Ash

Post by T-Ash »

Sorry about the confusion looking for the drive line length or is it possible to use the original drive line that was with the car. in line 6 and cruise amtic trans

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

By drive line I assume you are talking about the driveshaft?
Someone in your area will have the parts and material to get you hooked up.
I have used usually used truck shops over the years to either get the parts or they knew where to go.
Post up where you are maybe a member here has a contact for you.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It's pretty simple to measure for the driveshaft that you need.get a yoke to fit your trans & with same size yoke & caps as the rear yoke. just push the yoke in the trans all the way in ,pull it back out 1 inch. it needs that inch of slack for articulation. now measure from center of eye on trans yoke to center of eye on rear yoke. a driveshaft shop should be able to make you one. they will need the cap size too,(the caps on the u joints).
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Johno, the inch , is that with the rear hanging or ride height?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Johno, the inch , is that with the rear hanging or ride height?

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

So short answer is no the original driveshaft will not work as the v8 driveline with A: be longer and B: use larger yoke for the transmission and diff. You can find a local shop to make up a unit for you or there are lots of companies online that can make one as well. Even places like Speedway Motors have started offering custom length units, theirs i know come balanced with a front slip yoke. The measuring process is a little different depending on the manufacturer so always double check for what measurement they want first before placing an order, in most cases its at ride height. Good Luck
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:Johno, the inch , is that with the rear hanging or ride height?
with it hanging. & on trucks I would give it 1.5'' of slack.
but if you're going to order the whole shaft with trans yoke I'd do like 62cometman says;
62Cometman wrote:So short answer is no the original driveshaft will not work as the v8 driveline with A: be longer and B: use larger yoke for the transmission and diff. You can find a local shop to make up a unit for you or there are lots of companies online that can make one as well. Even places like Speedway Motors have started offering custom length units, theirs i know come balanced with a front slip yoke. The measuring process is a little different depending on the manufacturer so always double check for what measurement they want first before placing an order, in most cases its at ride height. Good Luck
Johno

T-Ash

Post by T-Ash »

Thanks for the info guys it very much appreciated.