securing window glass

Discussions about general body work and modifications
forden

securing window glass

Post by forden »

I was trying to free up the window mechanism in the rear door of my '63 with a little lubricant and the glass came out of the cradle (not sure what else to call it) at the bottom--the u-shaped rail the glass sits in. I reseated it so I could close the window until I have time to disassemble--once I take it out, what secures the glass in its cradle? Will I need some kind of adhesive (or parts)? It would be good to know before I take it all apart.

thanks all
Mike
-----------------------------------------
1963 Comet 4-door

Lou's Comet

Re: securing window glass

Post by Lou's Comet »

forden wrote:I was trying to free up the window mechanism in the rear door of my '63 with a little lubricant and the glass came out of the cradle (not sure what else to call it) at the bottom--the u-shaped rail the glass sits in. I reseated it so I could close the window until I have time to disassemble--once I take it out, what secures the glass in its cradle? Will I need some kind of adhesive (or parts)? It would be good to know before I take it all apart.

thanks all
Mike
Glass/window setting tape. Here is a link. Not hard to do at all.

https://www.bobdrake.com/glasssettingtape

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

many yrs ago,on a old ford truck,my window glass did the same thing,,so filled that channel up with 3m yellow trim glue,set the glass back down in channel and took a small block of wood and rolled window up against wood real tight and let it sit a day or so,,,,it was fixed from then on,,no telling how many times I rolled that glass up and down,it never gave another problem,,,I cleaned the edge of glass and channel real good with paint thinner 1st......pop
pop/glenda

forden

Post by forden »

Thanks guys. I'll get back to this issue after I finish the heater rebuild and work out the more troubling development of a pushrod jumping out from under the rocker arm (gonna start another thread about that one). Cheers
1963 Comet 4-door

forden

Post by forden »

Finally getting back to this--can't seem to get the rear window run out--manual says to pull it down then angle it toward the rear of the door, but I can't get it to move, even with the adjusting screw pushed through the hole. Any suggestions? I can't quite see how it fits in at the top, so wondering if it is seized there?
Thanks, Mike
1963 Comet 4-door

forden

Post by forden »

So I got the run and window out--new problem, window channel is toasted by rust / the piece is detached that the regulator roller glides in. If anyone knows a repro source for those, please let me know. Not having luck finding them yet. May have to get one fabricated.
cheers
1963 Comet 4-door