61 comet Painting the black parts with?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
61 Waycrosscomet

61 comet Painting the black parts with?

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

What paint are ya's using to paint the black parts, like the headlight buckets and the wall the headlight buckets mount to? I believe the original was
some sort of lacquer paint. the parts that have some good paint left shine up to a real nice gloss. I also have black on the inside doors above the door panels.
Can't tell if its gloss? semi-gloss? haven't been able to find original documentation on this black paint.

thanks for any advice!!

john.m

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 61 comet Painting the black parts with?

Post by A/FX »

61 Waycrosscomet wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:09 pm
What paint are ya's using to paint the black parts, like the headlight buckets and the wall the headlight buckets mount to? I believe the original was
some sort of lacquer paint. the parts that have some good paint left shine up to a real nice gloss. I also have black on the inside doors above the door panels.
Can't tell if its gloss? semi-gloss? haven't been able to find original documentation on this black paint.

thanks for any advice!!

john.m
I use this product : https://www.semproducts.com/product/tri ... ltra/49133
It is not inexpensive but it applies well, has the right look and is durable.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

61 Waycrosscomet

did you use the gloss?

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

61 Waycrosscomet wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:46 pm
did you use the gloss?
No, I never use gloss unless it is on the body itself. I prefer satin for all interior or under hood area’s.
Jim
Here is an example using Krylon, but SEM is very similar.
DEB2469A-70A9-441C-BCA4-C5BFAE8AFB65.jpeg
DEB2469A-70A9-441C-BCA4-C5BFAE8AFB65.jpeg (106.84 KiB) Viewed 1690 times

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Flat black spray bombs. Usually Tremclad (rustoleum) professional I think its called.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

61 Waycrosscomet

I did some more googling and found that it appears the black they used for 1961 comet and other vehicles was called Presidential Black, code M1724.
For my car the black is a wide strip just below the door windows , inside, and the inside door frame, the metal part of the dashboard, the panel the radiator mounts to, and the headlight buckets. Just about anything else under the car, frame wise, was actually painted the same white as the topside of the car.
what remains of the black, like on the door frame shines up pretty good with a bit of wax.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

The color may have been M1724 but there is a difference between color and “sheen”. Most any color can be formulated to have a “sheen” that can be gloss, flat or anywhere in between. I highly doubt the factory used gloss finish for interior surfaces.
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Pretty sure the interior paint is satin because you don't want the sun reflecting off of things like the dash and blinding you.

I just use the Rustoleum Rust Reformer for stuff like headlight buckets (that is currently what is sprayed on the whole outside of my car), it has s a sheen someplace between flat and satin, I painted my radiator core support the same but it has spray-on truck bed liner on the inside. The core support is body color from the factory I believe but I wanted it to disappear behind the grill.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058