Upgrade Single Speed Wipers to 2-speed + Intermittent

Discussions about general body work and modifications
lavron
Site Admin

Upgrade Single Speed Wipers to 2-speed + Intermittent

Post by lavron »

I thought I would post this here as well for future reference in case it gets lost in my build thread and someone is looking to do this upgrade.

The parts you need are two-speed wiper motor (I used a new one NOS but had to modify it) if you can find the right one you won't have to modify it like I did, I think a late '70s Ford pickup is the correct choice, if you get one from a JY make sure to get the entire wire attached to it. The switch and governor can be found in early '80s F- series trucks and Broncos, again get the whole thing with the harness, I would pull as much of the harness that plugs into the governor pigtail as you can and cut it out of the donor truck in case you need it.

I say in the video that the two-speed wiper I have is from an F-series truck but the more I think about it it is probably a car wiper motor because the one I saw that looked like it in the junkyard was in a late '60s Mustang and I had to modify mine.

https://youtu.be/A60yDwl2hAQ

Wiper motors are getting hard to find new, in my experience, and when you find them they are expensive ($200+) I found the one I bought for $45 on eBay because I wanted new not used (now it is half and half) at least it has a new motor and brushes and I had a good gearbox already (actually 3 to choose from because I am a hoarder)

I hope this helps someone.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058