LED Tail Light Issues

Discussions about general body work and modifications
lavron
Site Admin

LED Tail Light Issues

Post by lavron »

I was wiring my LED tail lights today and everything worked ok (well the sequencer won't work but just decided to skip it for now) I had to tinker with the turn signal switch because the brake lights were not feeding through, I ended up bending the brake wires and got them to work but it seems odd that is the original turn signal switch from my car, I assume I had brake lights before. Anyway, this is the issue, when I turn on the blinkers the other tail light blinks too but not the blinker part of the bulb but the tail light (not bright) if I turn on the tail lights they work like they are supposed too, with the brake lights on they work like they are supposed too (or you cant see the blinking anymore).

If I unplug the tail light wire between the two it stops. I thought I had it figured out because one socket is wired backward (it was dim when the other two were bright) but I switched the wire and it brightened up but I was still getting the glowing blink in the opposite tail light.

I have a bunch of different style LED tail light bulbs so I kept switching them, one set that strobes when they blink or brake did not make the other side glow but when you added the brake light both sides were strobing and you couldn't see the turn signal even though it was blinking (there was a variation in the strobe)

I did blow the fuse a couple of times but wasn't sure if it was leaving a wire loose and it toughing ground or another issue, right now I suspect the blinker switch because of the problems and may just buy a new one, the contacts are really worn on the lower part of the switch, and then see what happens.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be if not the blinker switch?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

tomb22

Re: LED Tail Light Issues

Post by tomb22 »

Some LED tail lights come without a built in resister, so you then have to buy them and wire them in. Without the resister you don't get enough current going thru the blinker to get it to work. Might check that out.
tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 pm
Some LED tail lights come without a built in resister, so you then have to buy them and wire them in. Without the resister you don't get enough current going thru the blinker to get it to work. Might check that out.
They blink, I have a flasher for LEDs.

My plans have been to replace all the lights in the car with LEDs so planned ahead some, but I have never messed with them before now. Probably doesn't help I bought really cheap Chinese bulbs just to try and get it working :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I put together a video of the taillight issues I have been experiencing trying to convert over to LEDs, I may have a solution for now but would like to get it fixed correctly eventually.

https://youtu.be/WnRJVjgpLtY

If anyone has any insight I would love to hear your thoughts.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I converted my tails and signals to LED this summer. Took a few tries to find a flasher that would work properly...or somewhat properly. Had to go to a 3 wire type, with one wire being a ground. The one I ended up with works as it should except the flasher clicks 2-3 extra times once the lights quit flashing. Kind of annoying but I've gotten used to it.

I've resisted (pun intended) adding resistors to my circuits since low circuit draws are one of the advantages of LEDs.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

redhotcomet wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:30 am
I converted my tails and signals to LED this summer. Took a few tries to find a flasher that would work properly...or somewhat properly. Had to go to a 3 wire type, with one wire being a ground. The one I ended up with works as it should except the flasher clicks 2-3 extra times once the lights quit flashing. Kind of annoying but I've gotten used to it.
I think you have the same flasher I have which seems to work so I don't think that is the issue at all, I should have the other bulbs today or tomorrow so I am curious to see what they do. One of the main reasons I went ahead and got 4 more of the Sylvania bulbs is the ones I have are so much brighter than the cheap bulbs and I hope they work properly.

The hard thing I have figuring out now is why only the left bulb bleeds now and the right side appears to work properly, I guess I can't have anything that is plug and play :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Update on my LED taillights, put all Sylvania bulbs in and they work correctly.

https://youtu.be/Hd_aQg3ezJ4

Sequencer still does not work but I will mess with that later.

There must have been something going on internally in those cheapy bulbs because the third brake light is not messed up now either, it no longer lights those last two LEDs in it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Wiring,,, thats one disaster waiting for me !!
Happy to see your getting it sorted
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:53 pm
Wiring,,, thats one disaster waiting for me !!
Happy to see your getting it sorted
Fred
Someone asked me today what brand of wiring harness that was on the Comet, Ron Francis or Autowire? Had to break the news that it was neither and I built it myself. Guess they were pretty impressed by the fuse boxes under the hood.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Should have told them it was a Lavronics, then kept a straight face and changed the subject. :wink:

Jim