Raptor Bed Liner for Floor

Discussions about general body work and modifications
JCBond

Raptor Bed Liner for Floor

Post by JCBond »

Has anyone tried Raptor bed liner over the floor? Does it reduce sound that much and worth the money? Do you still put a sound barrier after that?

Thanks

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Raptor Bed Liner for Floor

Post by A/FX »

JCBond wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:16 pm
Has anyone tried Raptor bed liner over the floor? Does it reduce sound that much and worth the money? Do you still put a sound barrier after that?

Thanks
Bed liner is not designed to reduce sound, it is made to protect the bed from scratching and lite damage.
I used Lizard Skin. https://www.lizardskin.com
They make two types, one for sound the other for heat, I applied both versions to the underside of my Comet and to the interior floor and up the inside of the firewall. It has a texture to it that can be adjusted by the air pressure you use to spray.
I also installed Hush Mat on the inside of the floor under the carpet. https://hushmat.com/
The stuff works, my car used to get the floor so hot from the engine and exhaust that it made driving miserable. Now when you touch the floor it is barely warm. The sound inside the car is also better.
Jim
Last edited by A/FX on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

JCBond wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:16 pm

Thanks
I have used Raptor on floors before, mostly trucks, it does reduce sound some. I have not used it inside on floors but outside underneath. Also have done firewall's with it again on the outside. Was using it for more of a durable coating than using it for sound. It did quiet up the cabs. Wasn't the goal but did notice the cab was quieter.

Now I did use it on my. Comet for sound. Got the idea from a poster on this forum Ripper. He did the inside of his front fenders.
So using his idea I used Raptor to spray the inside of my front fenders and am very happy I did. It wasn't to keep outside sounds out of anything but to keep sound from vibrations/thin metal/ harmonics? down.

This is not for outside noise/sound, but more for the when you tap your knuckles on metal and get that tinny sound. To get rid of that you can use something like dynamat, kilamat, etc. which adds weight and deadens that tinny sound, couldn't use sound deadening mat on the inside of fenders, wouldn't last long. But when I seen Ripper use the Raptor I thought it was a great idea. After two coats of Raptor, which added around 2 pounds to each fender they sound way more solid when I tap on then now.
I am very happy I did it.

As for floors and such I would not hesitate to do the underneath on something. The stuff is very durable!! And it does quiet down the inside some, enough that it is noticeable. But if all you want is to quiet down the inside of the car I would think you would get better results with a sound deadening mat without all the extra prep time and work of spraying the inside with Raptor.

Lou

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I used some peel and seal roofing stuff in my Cyclone. Quited down the interior and keeps the heat out too.

https://americansupplyandairproducts.co ... l-seal-18/
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:09 pm
I used some peel and seal roofing stuff in my Cyclone. Quited down the interior and keeps the heat out too.

https://americansupplyandairproducts.co ... l-seal-18/
Did you just use it in the roof or on the floors, firewall, doors, etc.?

Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:39 pm

Did you just use it in the roof or on the floors, firewall, doors, etc.?

Jim
Just used it on the floors, part way up the firewall and trunk floor. I did not have the headliner out and have not tried the doors.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

JCBond

Post by JCBond »

What about the wheel wells? I was going to use it on the inner front fender splash guards and under the floor pans but was wondering about the front wheel wells. Has anyone used it there?

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Been thinking about this.I know that most of you guys plan on keeping your cars forever but if you ever do decide to sell,most any knowledgeable buyers hate that stuff.They assume that you're hiding something and will walk away.They have seen or heard of sellers that WERE hiding some rough stuff and don't want to take the chance,adding that it's next to impossible to get it off once applied. Just throwing this out there...

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

vicegrip wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:58 am
Been thinking about this.I know that most of you guys plan on keeping your cars forever but if you ever do decide to sell,most any knowledgeable buyers hate that stuff.They assume that you're hiding something and will walk away.They have seen or heard of sellers that WERE hiding some rough stuff and don't want to take the chance,adding that it's next to impossible to get it off once applied. Just throwing this out there...
I do agree about people walking away when they see undercoating or bedliner sprayed underneath vehicles, and them assuming it is done to hide stuff. The Raptor isn't really like traditional undercoating, it dries very hard, and when sprayed (2 coats) you can still see any work under it.
I did the inside of my front fenders mostly for sound dampening. One of my fenders had a couple small patches on the inside, and even with the Raptor you can see the outline of the patches.

But yes I do agree spraying the bedliner, rustproofing, or undercoating will have people assuming it is to hide stuff.

Lou