Hood bow, how to fix?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Caveman49

Re: Hood bow, how to fix?

Post by Caveman49 »

So I’m working the hood a little, trying to fill some creases and low spots. Man they’re tough to get straight. How much is too much bondo?
I’d prefer very little to none, but that ain’t happening.
I did spray some picklex20 on the hood as well, hoping I don’t have adherence issues with paint. Thinking maybe should shoot some epoxy primer after done sanding, then continue.

Thoughts, or recommendations? Most appreciated.

Last edited by Caveman49 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Motor Safe,
Lee

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I understand your plight. Im on my third trunk lid after ruining the first two and the third one ain't perfect either. Those big almost flat surfaces are a struggle for sure.
I seen an ad for a new type of long sanding board somewhere but I don't have any details for you.
I think the main problem is the panels aren't straight they all have a slight curve so boarding them is a real art.
I hope someone here has an answer for you.
Good luck.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Thanks Fred. Yeah, I’ve a long air file, and some long (not super long) sanding blocks (the ones Lou mentioned), now just need to get “Armstrong” working at it 😬. I’ve watched a couple videos where a fellow works with probably close to a 2’ rigid sanding board, seemed to do pretty good over large surfaces, like the hood.

I’ll know more after I sand this coat of bondo. I know one thing, I need to buy some wider filler spreaders, I’ve been using only what I have, around 4 or 5 inches wide, ain’t gettin it. Reminds me almost like doing Sheetrock mud, start with a smaller blade, than go larger…

Edit; Another option I’m considering is to try and someway get behind the structure under the hood to work the metal. Thinking I might have to cut a hole in it large enough to work with a long pry bar, using the bend at the end, work it like a dolly and hammer tap. Would need to remove the bondo totally.

Motor Safe,
Lee

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Finally removed the bondo, now gotta try some metal work on the hood (circled on red), then get it epoxy primed. Maybe then I can get a light coat or two or three 😬 of bondo down. Been trying to get to the Comet when time permits, helping my daughter with some drywall work, along with never ending yard work. I sprayed it with some Picklex to preserve it for awhile.

Motor Safe,
Lee

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Have you tried using a shrinking disk to get some of that metal to pull up? Lot easier to tap it back down then it is to get it pulled up.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

How’s the shrinking disc used, haven’t heard of that method.

Ok, I watched a couple YouTube videos on the disc, interesting, and does take time. It would probably work on my fender dents, but I don’t think it’ll work on the hood, the structure/bracing underneath is in the way to work the slapper and dolly. I’ll more than likely work the areas I can get to with the dolly, and then use bondo.
Motor Safe,
Lee