front end/rear end swap

Discussions about general body work and modifications
JP2323

front end/rear end swap

Post by JP2323 »

Hello~ I just started my newest project which is a 65 caliente. I've found that parts are not overly available for this car but it almost makes me want to get it done more. That being said I need advice/help on a few things. I want to change out the drums all the way around, what would be recomended to change the front to discs? Also I'm kind of confused on the rear end as I can't find the tag. Did these have 8.8 or 9" rear ends? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: front end/rear end swap

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

If your car came from the factory with a V8 then it should have an 8 inch rear end. As for the front disk brakes there are many options. From factory 65 Mustang Kelsey Hayes brakes, to Granada brakes to any number of after market conversions. It depends on your budget.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

For the front end I used a kit from http://www.scarebird.com/. The reason I used their kit was that it uses ranger rotors and s10 calipars so parts are cheap. It works fine for my comet around town and at the track I ran it over 120mph and it stop fine.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

JP2323

Post by JP2323 »

I want to thank you both for replies to my post. I truly appreciate it! I'm sure I will have some goofy questions along the way so please be patient.....This is my first major project and there aren't alot of guys that know about these in SW Minnesota. That being said I'm not really in Ford Country either which makes it even harder to find parts for these things. I've seen that there are a lot of 65/66 mustang parts that carry over which is a plus....Any insight on quarter skins? I'm going to try and salvage mine but they are dinged on both sides. The car I bought was last registered in 74' and was parked in a grove but amazingly in good shape. I'll get some pics posted sooner than later. Also I have to say that I've enjoyed the posts of other comets...always good to see one on the drag strip!

JP

COMET KID

Post by COMET KID »

there is alot of talk about using a 91 Explorer rear axle.. cut the one side.. and then you have the Disc brake setup for the rear..