Newb in Boise w/ 65 caliente

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Bubbasev

Newb in Boise w/ 65 caliente

Post by Bubbasev »

Hey guys. Buying a 65’ caliente with bench seat column shift. First order of business is to source buckets and console, and installing some disc brakes up front.. open to using parts from slightly different years. Maybe even mustang parts. If anyone has made swap from auto to manual trans, would be interested in hearing smart/cost-effective means. Will pour over your forums guessing that it’s all here. Just need to dig for it! Pics once I get it home. So glad to have found you🙂

Joe Travers

Re: Newb in Boise w/ 65 caliente

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Bubba!
A lot of good people here and a ton of knowledge.
You came to the right spot. :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Some use Granada disc brake parts, but there are differences in the tie rod ends. I think everything with Mustang front suspension is interchangeable with the Comet except the center link. That's Comet specific. A number of guys have used a conversion kit by CSRP and have had good success with it. Maybe they'll chime in.
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%20 ... SWAP1.html
Let us see some pics when you get it home. Here's how:
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =1&t=16011

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome!!
Could be tough to find any Comet specific interior stuff.
Think I read somewhere Mustang seats are lower so mounting may be a challenge.
Do early Mustang Kelsey Hayes style disc brakes, suspension
and steering except you'll need a Comet /Falcon specfic center link as stated.
The Mustang stuff will be around a long time and parts will be easy to come by.
Consider Shelby quick steer components, I don't have but people here do, ask around why.

Ever go out to Firebird?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:36 am
Do early Mustang Kelsey Hayes style disc brakes, suspension
and steering except you'll need a Comet /Falcon specfic center link as stated.
The Mustang stuff will be around a long time and parts will be easy to come by.
Consider Shelby quick steer components, I don't have but people here do, ask around why.
Depending on how deep you want to go into your pocketbook, rack and pinion is a great set-up.
Only drawback I've had is turning radius. I got very spoiled driving a XJ Jeep for years and could turn on a dime and park anywhere.
Not so with the Comet. But I'm not planning to pull it into a parking lot, anyway.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Post by comethead »

Welcome!
I did the 4 speed swap. Of course there’s a few ways to go.
I went with a stock steel tunnel cover, stock pedals and linkage and a Toploader 4 speed.
These days the steel tunnel cover is hard to find and costs around $300. Best to get a fiberglass one from one of the parts houses. Pedals are around $250 plus another $200 for the linkage. Ditch the leaf spring stock trans mount if you still have it and get a “C4” mount for about $75.
Biggest cost will be the transmission of course. Figure about $700 to $1000 for a Toploader or T10. If you’re going for the stock shifter location it will need a 63-65 Falcon Comet Ranchero tail housing and shifter.
Stock shifters go for around $400 used and a new Hurst is about $600 on eBay.
There are 3 types of bellhousings you can use. Stock aluminum about $250. Stock cast iron a little cheaper and a scatter shield for about $300 used, $500 new.
Ain’t cheap. Been down that road on my 65 Comet and my 64 Falcon.
I have a 4 speed conversion thread somewhere in the 64/65 Comet section.
Another option that may be cheaper is a 5 speed with a cable clutch. I don’t know nothin’ about that :wink: Fred does!
Good luck!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

comethead wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:50 am
Welcome!
I did the 4 speed swap. Of course there’s a few ways to go.
I went with a stock steel tunnel cover, stock pedals and linkage and a Toploader 4 speed.
These days the steel tunnel cover is hard to find and costs around $300. Best to get a fiberglass one from one of the parts houses. Pedals are around $250 plus another $200 for the linkage. Ditch the leaf spring stock trans mount if you still have it and get a “C4” mount for about $75.
Biggest cost will be the transmission of course. Figure about $700 to $1000 for a Toploader or T10. If you’re going for the stock shifter location it will need a 63-65 Falcon Comet Ranchero tail housing and shifter.
Stock shifters go for around $400 used and a new Hurst is about $600 on eBay.
There are 3 types of bellhousings you can use. Stock aluminum about $250. Stock cast iron a little cheaper and a scatter shield for about $300 used, $500 new.
Ain’t cheap. Been down that road on my 65 Comet and my 64 Falcon.
I have a 4 speed conversion thread somewhere in the 64/65 Comet section.
Another option that may be cheaper is a 5 speed with a cable clutch. I don’t know nothin’ about that :wink: Fred does!
Good luck!

Joe
What hell is a cable clutch?? Lol, I use a hydraulic, but I also run a V6 so probably not much help.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Mike (Lavron) has some good info on how he set up his hydraulic clutch system starting here
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... &start=915
and scattered over the next several pages after that.

Jim