curious form TX

Let everyone know a little about yourself
elhjr

curious form TX

Post by elhjr »

I for some reason have own three comets, 1 65 coup, 1 65 convertible, and a 66 cyclone GT with a 390. I sold the coupe and my wife missed it so I found the convertible but it was spawned from the gates of hell so it went away. I now have the 66 cyclone and trying to get all the old stuff back to normal.

I have a question. I am trying to get the steering wheel off to get restored but the horn ring refuses to come off. Is there a secret to getting it off?
I am also looking for a functioning dash clock, any hints as to finding one?

Any help would be appreciated.

SASSY

Re: curious form TX

Post by SASSY »

Cant help on the knowledge or clock but
Welcome!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

If it's like other FoMoCos, you disconnect the wire to the horn, push in on the ring against the spring and twist counter-clockwise to unlock.
That's if it is like other early FoMoCos..........

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

elhjr wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:39 am
I for some reason have own three comets, 1 65 coup, 1 65 convertible, and a 66 cyclone GT with a 390. I sold the coupe and my wife missed it so I found the convertible but it was spawned from the gates of hell so it went away. I now have the 66 cyclone and trying to get all the old stuff back to normal.

I have a question. I am trying to get the steering wheel off to get restored but the horn ring refuses to come off. Is there a secret to getting it off?
Disconnect the battery so you are not sitting blowing th horn unless that doesn’t bother you :lol: :lol:
Grab the steering wheel with your righ t hand press the center of the horn button down with your right. Hand and twist to the left it should uncle from the horn ring failing that I am not sure if you can see the screws around the edge that secure the hon ring and remove them I have never had one not uncoil and have removed the clip after getting the horn button off if you are having that much trouble I would change it once I got the button off I think almost any Ford car from that era would work and if you can’t find one I may have one but I am the worse about promising things and taking forever to fulfill because the part is not where I think it should be
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

elhjr wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:39 am

Disconnect the battery so you are not sitting blowing th horn unless that doesn’t bother you :lol: :lol:
Grab the steering wheel with your righ t hand press the center of the horn button down with your right. Hand and twist to the left it should uncle from the horn ring failing that I am not sure if you can see the screws around the edge that secure the hon ring and remove them I have never had one not uncoil and have removed the clip after getting the horn button off if you are having that much trouble I would change it once I got the button off I think almost any Ford car from that era would work and if you can’t find one I may have one but I am the worse about promising things and taking forever to fulfill because the part is not where I think it should be
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Like Fred, I'm not much use for your questions, but what Joe said sounds good.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D

clock on ebay for a 67;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114668221709?h ... Sw0WdgEu8-

Lipripper is our 66-67 go to man ,he can tell you if they are the same clocks & if the horn bar comes off like these earlier comets, push & turn left like Joe said.
also dawned on me you might be talking about a clock that sits on top of the dash? :?
Johno

elhjr

Post by elhjr »

-Thanks for the info and encouragement. I get OCD when it come to mechanical problems, but I will figure it out.