Let everyone know a little about yourself
67CycloneGT

Post by 67CycloneGT »

I just registered today. I have a 67 Cyclone GTA that I have had for 25 years. The car is maroon with a vinyl top, and in fairly nice shape. I haven't driven it much for the last 10 years, but I am now in the process of completely redoing the brakes (so I can maybe now drive it!) and I am also interested in getting some new factory style wheels. Anyone with knowledge on what the common wheel types were for this car? When I first got the car it had aftermarket Keystones on it, which I replaced with some nice looking aluminum styled wheels. Now that the car is more of a classic (wasn't it that from day 1?) I'd like the car to have a more factory stock look, and have been searching for old photos to see what the most common stock wheels were. Any help would be appreciated.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: New member

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Welcome to the site,67's are a great looking Comet.The only wheel I have seen on Cyclone GT's is the chrome wheel looking hubcap,I have seen pictures of the Fairlane GT with a styled steel wheel like a Mustang.A good friend has a Maroon 67 that he special ordered,GT,390,4-speed,3:55's on a traction-lok,black interior. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

67CycloneGT

Post by 67CycloneGT »

That's the most common wheel I've seen in old photos and ads as well. Autokrafters lists a styled wheel that they are calling a "Cyclone" wheel, similar to what is seen on Cougars, but I haven't come across any old photos with a Cyclone with this style wheel on. West Coast Classic Cougar also sells a simialr wheel. I attached a photo of an old ad I just came across along with a photo of my car and the wheel from Autokrafters. That ad photo was taken at LimeRock park, not far from where I live. I'll have to head up there and do a remake photo! If anyone has any old Cyclone photos with various factory wheels, please put them on the forum.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Rick Hamilton's 1967 Mercury Comet Cyclone convertible photographed at the 24th Annual Fabulous Fords at Knott's Berry Farm.

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I forgot about Ricks car,I can get a hold of him to see if those are Cyclone wheels. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

67CycloneGT

Post by 67CycloneGT »

They look like the wheels you can get from the West Coast Classic Cougar website, very similar to the Autokrafter wheels. WCCC has a few more sizes available. They look nice, as does the rest of Rick's car! I still haven't seen that style on any actual old photos though. I'm not that concerned that the wheel is exactly what someone might have gotten on a Cyclone out of the showroom, but I'd rather not stray too far from original. I'm not a huge fan of the plain chrome wheel, although they don't look too bad when dressed up with chrome rings and centers. Does anyone know of the source or have an image of an original 67 Comet brochure, showing wheel options?

projim64

Post by projim64 »

It would of came from the factory with steel wheels and the simulated wheel covers that look like chrome wheels but are actually stainless steel wheel covers and chrome lugs. Jim.
64 prostreet Caliente 347 crossram 5spd 4.56 9 in
64 Caliente 260 auto ps pb radio delete
64 Caliente 4dr 260 auto
64 Cyclone 289 auto
64 404 wagon 289 tunnelram 2 4rs auto

67CycloneGT

Post by 67CycloneGT »

Thanks for the info, projim64! I can't bear to put on hub caps though. I do like the aluminum wheels I have on now, I"ve had them on for about 15 years or so. I just completed redoing the entire brake system (down to new lines), and was thinking about getting wheels that have a bit more of a factory stock look to them. I do need new tires as well, and rather than just putting new 14 inchers on the same wheels, I am exploring other possibilities. I'm not concerned about exact originality, and the West Coast Cougar site has what looks like the wheels that Rick Hamilton has on his 67 in both 14 and 15 inch diameter in a few different widths as well. I also like the look of plain chrome wheels, with trim rings, centers, and chrome lugs, but don't know if that's a viable option. It would make the car look a little less "muscle" car like and a bit more stock. I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions anyone can give. Thanks.