Hello from Illinois!

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Treehouse

Hello from Illinois!

Post by Treehouse »

Hello everyone!

Im from Illinois, the land where our governors make our license plates. I’ve had a couple old cars and motorcycles and I really enjoy working on anything mechanical. I’m a union plumber by day and full time dad at night.

My wife and I recently bought a 1964 Mercury Comet 404 4 door with 3.3l inline 6. The car only had 32,000 original miles and was a one owner car! It was listed on Craigslist in the Kansas City area by a young man who got the car from the original owner in trade for a landscaping job. He never registered it in his name and had no interest in the car. He just wanted to make some easy money. We decided to drive out there hoping it was in as good of condition as the pictures depicted it to be. It turned out to be in even better condition in person. We took it for a test drive around the block and decided that it was a definite buy. $5500 later I’m driving a 58 year old car back home across the great state of missouri. It made the 4.5 hour trip with no issues! It was 95 degrees and I had the windows down cruising at 75-80 mph down Interstate 70 feeling good. We bought this car for taking our 3 kids out to get ice cream when we get the urge to look cool while being parents. I think my wife will end up taking them to school in this car quite often!

I will attach pictures when I can figure it out soon!

Groover

Re: Hello from Illinois!

Post by Groover »

Welcome on Treehouse. Where in Illinois? I have spent the better part of my life in Carbondale, but move to Indy in 2019. My 64 Comet still resides in Illinois for now ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome! Great story, happy to have you on board.
Best way to post pics os to link them from a host such as Postimage.
We look forward to pics and reading about your "ice cream adventures" .
Tons of help here just for the asking.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Treehouse

Post by Treehouse »

I’m in St. Clair county about 15 minutes East of St.Louis.

Here are some pics…

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Wow! Very clean!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Treehouse

Post by Treehouse »

Yes it is very clean, there are a couple chips in the paint and a little bubbling on the front quarter panel.

I had a question about the trim levels. What were the differences in the 202 and 404? I understand the caliente and cyclone trim but I wanted to know if this is a true 404?

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

Nice! Welcome here.
Image 64 caliente 302 auto

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Body identification code is the first one on the warranty plate when you open the driver-side door.

202 4-door sedan- 54A
404 4-door sedan- 54B

I would be proud to drive a beauty like yours'. In a day when dealers can't get inventory on their lots and you pick up this jewel for that price?
Dude, that's a blessing. :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Treehouse

Post by Treehouse »

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a front disc brake conversion? Since we will have the kids in the car, I would like to have good brakes!

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Welcome! That is a great find! Kids will be cool getting dropped off at school in that. :)

This is a great group for support and information.

Have fun!
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D a company by the name of scarebird makes a kit for 6 cyl cars with 4 lug wheels & I believe is one of the few if not the only ones out. Cant blame you for wanting better brakes with precious cargo aboard. & most kits come with a new modern 2 chamber Master cyl. that has one for front & one for back,which if you get a leak on back brakes you'll still have front brakes & visa-versa, vs the single chamber MC you have now,,,which if you get a leak you wont have any brakes other than the parking brakes.
here is the scarebird brakes;
https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=93
check wheel fitment.

But doesn't come with MC but it'd be a smart idea to get a dual chambered MC for safety .
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D looks like you’ve got a jewel there. Advice is easy to come by here, so ask away.

Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Welcome! Johno is spot on with his comments about your brakes. I’m not sure if Dan Chockley (sp) sells the setup for your ride but you can check with him as well. He’s at chockostang http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.co ... stang.html
I bought a setup from him for our 66 Comet, worked out great.

Nice ride you have there.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Treehouse

Post by Treehouse »

Thanks for the leads on the disc brake conversion. I decided to order the scarebird brackets and use my stock wheels. I will make a post in the drivetrain section when I get all the parts needed to do the job and begin the process. Looking forward to working on the car!