Let everyone know a little about yourself
1948F1

Post by 1948F1 »

My name is Ed. I'm in Georgia. Have been driving antiques and classics for about 50 years. I have owned a wide variety of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. My latest vehicle is a 63 Comet 4door, 170 six, auto trans. I bought this car at an auction for $550.00, so am prepared to put a little more in it. I trailered it home, and got it running. I am finding that a previous owner must have been about 16 with no budget, but used what limited knowledge they had to keep it going. I keep finding messed up systems and proceed to figure out what they did and why. Fascinating so far! At this time I am attempting to get the electricals working. Wiring is not my strong point. I am finding multiple splices, house wire, and questionable inventions. So, is there a wiring diagram available to help me straighten out this mess, and get to cruising? Perhaps all you Mercury fans might know where I can get a wiring harness with good instructions? Any and all help, wisdom, ideas, or advice appreciated! Thanks!

SASSY

Re: New Member

Post by SASSY »

Welcome Ed!
Reads like you may have got a car from someone like me as a kid, lol. I remember having a couple house light switches for ignition in an old truck!
Can't help with a wiring diagram at the moment but I'm sure someone with a Comet of that generation will be along with help.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey, Ed!

Here's for Falcon. I have a '63 Comet schematic in the glovebox, if you run into anything fishy.
http://www.wiring-wizard.com/Falcon_Diagrams.htm

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on!! :D :D :D

If you click on the link that Fred put up;
SASSY wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:10 am
Some of the info in here may help.
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=front
& look down in the left lower corner click on the word ''Home'' it will take you to some wiring diagrams & other manuals;
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/
Johno

1948F1

Post by 1948F1 »

If I run into anything fishy?! Joe, this whole car is fishy! But thanks to all of you who sent information. I have printed off several wiring diagrams and will crawl under the dash, unhook speedo cable, and pull the cluster. I hope that with these diagrams, and with enough staring at things, I will be able to undo what has been tampered with, and get everything working properly. Happily, I have removed the seats for upholstery so can stretch out to work under the dash. I appreciate all of the welcomes!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lol removed seats. I bet someone could make a million with a quick and easy seat removal system.
Basic system would be drivers seat only premium would be both and an economy bench option lolol
Come to think of it, our minivans center row buckets can be removed from the van in about 10seconds or less if I practiced!
Like most of my ideas,,, stolen or copied lolol

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

1948F1 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:44 pm
If I run into anything fishy?! Joe, this whole car is fishy!
Ha!!! :lol:

Be very careful if you have to get to the fuse box!! You have to have the secret code to find another handlamp switch bezel. Not reproduced.
May want to move circuits off that thing onto an outboard fuse box.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Ed! :D Looks like the guys beat me to the draw on loading you up on enough info to make you dangerous, so I'll just lay low and say, "what they said". We all want to see what you've got, and you may need to post some pics if you get stumped, so here's how to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16011

Jim

1948F1

Post by 1948F1 »

Thanks for all the helpful info. I did mount a fusebox under the hood where I can get to it. So far I have only run the brake lights through it, but I have a feeling that more is coming! The wiring diagrams were very helpful. I haven't had to pull the instrument cluster yet. I was very concerned that there were no signal lights at all. By studying the diagrams I realized that on these cars all power to the signals runs through the flasher. I stole a flasher off a parts vehicle. Easy fix! However, the socket on the passenger side front signal light is toasted. I pulled the housing out of the bumper ok, but can't see how to get the socket out. Any clues?

1948F1

Post by 1948F1 »

As far as posting pictures...I may try when I get my courage up. I'm an old guy who hates computers. Just sayin.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

1948F1 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:30 pm
However, the socket on the passenger side front signal light is toasted. I pulled the housing out of the bumper ok, but can't see how to get the socket out. Any clues?
The socket and housing are sold as a unit.
What do you mean by toasted? My sockets were loose and corroded on my old '65 Cyclone when I bought it. Lights worked intermittently.
Cleaned the contacts well and wrapped the bulbs w/ electric tape so they would fit snug. No more problems. Sometimes you have to restore what you have until you can find something better. Hunting for parts is part of the adventure of owning a Comet.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

1948F1

Post by 1948F1 »

By toasted I meant: Done, ruined. It is corroded, the contacts wont push in to allow the bulb to turn into it's locking grooves. I have been cleaning it and spraying PB Blaster in it to try and get enough corrosion dissolved to allow the contacts to push in. Now that I know it is a unit, and the socket will not come out, I will get creative. Thanks for that information.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

1948F1 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:49 pm
By toasted I meant: Done, ruined. It is corroded, the contacts wont push in to allow the bulb to turn into it's locking grooves. I have been cleaning it and spraying PB Blaster in it to try and get enough corrosion dissolved to allow the contacts to push in. Now that I know it is a unit, and the socket will not come out, I will get creative. Thanks for that information.
Check reply in Wanted section

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop